PDA

View Full Version : [C] My first shared library!

nvteighen
May 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
I've been with this for a while and it (somehow) works! It's a float-precision library originally meant for Programming Challenge 10 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=783653), but that I couldn't finish on time. Anyway, it has been really fun to do this (and I feel I've finished some good work, after all!)

I include a tar file with the source. It includes the library's source, the header file and a little test program which performs the four basic operations (+, -, *, /) with two variables. EDIT:No negatives value supported... yet.

Of course, you won't be able to use this library for anything useful ;) I'd really appreciate any comment to improve it!

To compile the shared library:

./make

To compile the test program:

./make float_test

To execute it, you'll have to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable to the program's directory or (less recommended) copy libfloat.so to /usr/lib.

To clean:

./make clean

Lster
May 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Looks cool but I can't set it up properly. I tried copying it to /usr/lib (after remaking it) but I still got the error:

./float_test: error while loading shared libraries: libfloat.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm also not sure how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Any pointers? :)

nvteighen
May 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
Looks cool but I can't set it up properly. I tried copying it to /usr/lib (after remaking it) but I still got the error:

I'm also not sure how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Any pointers? :)

Do this in bash:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

This will add "./" to the variable (change it to something else if you want); remember that will be forgotten after logging out, so if you want to make that change permanent, you should add that line to your .bashrc file.

While copying to /usr/lib, have you checked permissions? You should chmod it to 644 (no execution permission needed).