PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII: Best. Game. Ever.

Luke has no name
May 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
Truly, My God, I miss it.

I just started listening to the soundtrack I haven't heard in three years. Chills went down my spine remembering the story, the emotion, the adventure that is FFVII.

Must... connect... Playstation...

Xzallion
May 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM
If you like the soundtrack, theres a remix of the entire soundtrack for free at OverClockedRemix (http://ff7.ocremix.org/). Just thought you might like that.

I really loved it, was my first console RPG, but later Star Ocean: The Second Story on the Playstation became my favorite game and vote for best game ever. Might want to give it a try sometime if you can find a copy. Its really a shame the way the Final Fantasy series went after seven though. Nine was fun, but ten killed it, at least for me.

aeiah
May 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM

or get a playstation emulator 8)

erginemr
May 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Equally good was FF6 (FF3 in US) on SNES. And also Chrono Trigger on the same system. I still remember the fond moments when playing these two in the past...

BDNiner
May 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
+1
I would definately put Chrono Trigger and FF6 ahead of FF7. FF7 was a good game but it is not even the best RPG of all time. maybe in the top 5.

Luke has no name
May 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I haven't played Crono Trigger. I played FF6 a few years back, I must have been about 14 or 15. It was a great game, as well.

I mean, when I think about these games, I get lost in another world in a way I don't when reading any book or watching any movie or playing any other games. It's completely immersing.

billgoldberg
May 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Truly, My God, I miss it.

I just started listening to the soundtrack I haven't heard in three years. Chills went down my spine remembering the story, the emotion, the advendture that is FFVII.

I played it back in the day on the ps1. But I always liked FF8 better.

FFX (not x-2, no aeons, wtf?) and FF12 were extremely good as well.

Can't wait untill FF13 comes out.

arsenic23
May 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Oh, wait, are we ranking Square games?

Final Fantasy Tactics
Xenogears
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Mario RPG
ChronoTrigger
The newer one with the scripted combat, whatever that one was
All the old Final Fantasies, before 6
Bushido Blade
All of the other new Final Fantasies I've played

madjr
May 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
I haven't played Crono Trigger. I played FF6 a few years back, I must have been about 14 or 15. It was a great game, as well.

I mean, when I think about these games, I get lost in another world in a way I don't when reading any book or watching any movie or playing any other games. It's completely immersing.

for me FF3 (FF6) was the best.

but overall your first exp is the best, so i guess ff7 was your first love.

a person playing ffX would say is better than ff7, simply because the graphics were better.

it all depends what you pick up first.

it's rare for the new generations to state that the classics are better.

Scheater5
May 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
I've played 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, and Chrono Trigger in addition to some other RPGs, and I still say VII is the greatest RPG of all time. The ending is kinda a letdown, and the graphics suck, but it's STILL the best with a kick *** storyline (which is not afraid to kill characters - seriously, I don't cry at movies...I cried when Aerith died. Absolutely shocking) and the materia system is hands down my favorite magic system. There's so much you could do with it. Rumor mills keep talking of a PS3 remake to round out all the sequels. I'd buy a PS3 just for that!

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Lost Odyessy truly PWNS itt has a better story and is a lot more difficult i hate to say it but FF7 is sort of a baby's RPG
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5550/lostodysseyiz6.jpg
i know its published by microshit but its still a damn good game. 4 discs

zeny
May 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
I've played 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, and Chrono Trigger in addition to some other RPGs, and I still say VII is the greatest RPG of all time. The ending is kinda a letdown, and the graphics suck, but it's STILL the best with a kick *** storyline (which is not afraid to kill characters - seriously, I don't cry at movies...I cried when Aerith died. Absolutely shocking) and the materia system is hands down my favorite magic system. There's so much you could do with it. Rumor mills keep talking of a PS3 remake to round out all the sequels. I'd buy a PS3 just for that!

I agree 100% man! I cried too :( Best FF there ever was!

swoll1980
May 21st, 2008, 05:44 PM
You should add it to my best videogame ever thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=776393)

SomeGuyDude
May 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
FF7 wins, end of story.

FF6 was good, and I'd call Chrono Trigger the only one that comes close, but everyone remembers the first time they played the mighty VII. It changed the gaming landscape, blew the RPG field open and created a little world. I remember once in a while I'd go back and play my old save files not because I wanted to beat a challenge, but because I just wanted to re-visit the game.

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM
FF7 wins, end of story.

FF6 was good, and I'd call Chrono Trigger the only one that comes close, but everyone remembers the first time they played the mighty VII. It changed the gaming landscape, blew the RPG field open and created a little world. I remember once in a while I'd go back and play my old save files not because I wanted to beat a challenge, but because I just wanted to re-visit the game.
have you ever tried dragon quest? or lost odyessy? i personally find FF7 overrated i liked the days of FF6 or 1 after that it seemed the series was a beaten horse.

DoktorSeven
May 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sorry, but I still believe that this and its successors up to VII were the best...

http://doktorseven.miskie.net/images/ultima-iv.jpg

Black Mage
May 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well have you guys heard they are remaking VII for the PS3? And I'm hoping FFXIII can rival VII. They are bringing back the crystal concepts from VI and below.

Changturkey
May 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Chrono Trigger, Cross, 7, 8, 9, 10 are good. I like 9 the most.

Thirtysixway
May 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Kingdom hearts I and II ;)

SunnyRabbiera
May 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
FFVII is alright, but really it gets too much attention.
I liked Final Fantasy VI much better, sure 2D oldschool but it undoubtedly had the best villain of all videogame history in the form of Kefka.
I mean who else in videogames has actually SUCCEEDED in taking over the world, certainly not Sephiroth.... Yeh Kefka was a laughing loon, but hey he was successful :D
Actually due to FFVII's overpopularity, I rank it low in my list of final fantasies:

1: Final fantasy VI
2: Final Fantasy IX
3: Final Fantasy IV
4: Final Fantasy VII

nick09
May 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
I remember Chrono Trigger and FF7 so much(I still have both of them).

They would be on my fav list along with Assassin's Creed.

@black mage: Can you give us a source of that news?

will1911a1
May 21st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry, but I still believe that this and its successors up to VII were the best...

http://doktorseven.miskie.net/images/ultima-iv.jpg

+1 and Amen.

Black Mage
May 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
I remember Chrono Trigger and FF7 so much(I still have both of them).

They would be on my fav list along with Assassin's Creed.

@black mage: Can you give us a source of that news?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsnDqQu0mQ

Thats just a video. If you just google Final Fantasy VII PS3, a bunch of articles come up, even a petition against it. This project has been underway for quite some time.

enchantedsky
May 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Sorry, I disagree. Final Fantasy 7 was one of the worse RPGs I've played.

But hear me out before you respond to my comment. Sony invested millions of dollars in FF7, but ran out of the money in the process. As they cut their budget, FF7's development was rushed and many features and characters were eliminated. This is why many villages in FF7 have EMPTY houses. When you go inside them, there is no one in them, not a single character.

Also, the plot gets stupid by the middle of the game. Is there REALLY a need to kill off Aeris other than to make the gamer cry? Why does the game suddenly become a "hey, revenge is great" parody to battle Sephiroth whenever you see him......while the main plot of saving the world is disregarded? Silly things like that make me dislike FF7.

Don't get me wrong; there are good things about FF7. The battling was amazing when I played and beat it......I loved how the materia interacted with one another to create new moves for your character. The battling is just as good as Chrono Trigger. It's just the story mode which makes the game suck for me.

will1911a1
May 21st, 2008, 11:10 PM
But hear me out before you respond to my comment. Sony invested millions of dollars in FF7, but ran out of the money in the process. As they cut their budget, FF7's development was rushed and many features and characters were eliminated. This is why many villages in FF7 have EMPTY houses. When you go inside them, there is no one in them, not a single character.

I've never heard of that. Got sources?

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM
Sorry, I disagree. Final Fantasy 7 was one of the worse RPGs I've played.

Also, the plot gets stupid by the middle of the game. Is there REALLY a need to kill off Aeris other than to make the gamer cry? Why does the game suddenly become a "hey, revenge is great" parody to battle Sephiroth whenever you see him......while the main plot of saving the world is disregarded? Silly things like that make me dislike FF7.

Don't get me wrong; there are good things about FF7. The battling was amazing when I played and beat it......I loved how the materia interacted with one another to create new moves for your character. The battling is just as good as Chrono Trigger. It's just the story mode which makes the game suck for me.

I don't believe it was one of the worse its just extremely overrated.

Chilli Bob
May 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Dammit, I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm playing FFVII for the first time now, and now I know what happens.

Yes, I know I'm a decade or so late, but It's been on my to-do list for a VERY long time. It seems like a good story, but the characters aren't appealing to me like the characters in FFVIII did. (Even if Squall did need a slap around the ears - "Cheer-up emo kid")

nick09
May 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsnDqQu0mQ

Thats just a video. If you just google Final Fantasy VII PS3, a bunch of articles come up, even a petition against it. This project has been underway for quite some time.

No I found out that video is just a little surprise for beating Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII for PSP.

Square-Enix is busy with FF XIII, to even do a remake.

kanem
May 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
I'm playing FF7 now for the first time. I haven't read much of this thread because I'm afraid of spoilers, but I agree that it is definitely one of the best. I've played plenty of RPGs including later FF games, and I have to say that once I got past the last-generation-graphics and lack of voice-acting FF7 blew me away. And I've still got a ways to go.

Here's hoping they do a remake.

Pogeymanz
May 22nd, 2008, 03:10 AM
I'll chime in.

I LOVE the characters of FF7. All of them. Including Cait Sith; he was an excellent character in a literary sense. (And had a very strong Magic stat IIRC)

The story was interesting. Lets face it: RPG stories are kind of lame. But at least our main character was interesting. Hell, he didn't even know who he was!

I also dislike the fact that the motive was not to save the world, but just to kill Sephiroth. That always left a bad taste in my mouth.

But, since we like to rank square games, here we go:
FF Tactics
FF 7 (it was over-rated, yes. But it's still AWESOME)
FF 6
FF 5
Chrono Trigger
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2)
FF Tactics Advance (Way easy and childish, but fun and portable)
Chrono Cross

In rough order. Eh, my opinion changes constantly anyway...:lolflag:

Samueltehg33k
May 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
no one has heard of lost odyessy? :(

K.Mandla
May 22nd, 2008, 05:45 AM
I feel silly because I've never played most of the games mentioned, but this one is probably my favorite console RPG, if it can be called that.

http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08214/b_adventure_color_front355.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs227&d=08214&f=b_adventure_color_front355.jpg)

After that one, I'd have to go with ...

http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08214/1184472373-00207.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs227&d=08214&f=1184472373-00207.jpg)

But of course, that wasn't a console. Oh well. ... :roll:

Keymaster
October 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I'd buy it too. Any news on confirming, denying it from Sony/Square Enix?

...I mean who else in videogames has actually SUCCEEDED in taking over the world...

Ganondorf did during the 7 years Link was trapped in the Sacred Realm (Zelda: Ocarina of Time for N64)

Delvien
October 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
There is no best game ever, it's a matter of opinion.

Personally I hate FF games. The story is much more interesting, but I'm not going to play the game just for the story. That's what books are for :p

ODF
October 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Lost Odyessy truly PWNS itt has a better story and is a lot more difficult i hate to say it but FF7 is sort of a baby's RPG
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5550/lostodysseyiz6.jpg
i know its published by microshit but its still a damn good game. 4 discs

Well, I'am happy Microsoft is doing great. The game industry is now controled here in north america ... since Montréal is a big player I cannot only say United States. Microsoft is doing VERY well in the gaming industry, I am honnestly proud of them.

I'm glad the PS3 has delayed GT5 again ... It only proves that we did the right thing to buy 3 of them as blue-ray player when they came out.

mips
October 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
If you like the soundtrack, theres a remix of the entire soundtrack for free at OverClockedRemix (http://ff7.ocremix.org/). Just thought you might like that.

Never played FF but that is really cool.

Changturkey
October 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
FF7 was my first RPG, and I believe the first fully 3D RPG. I like all the FF games, but I like 9 and 7 the most. I hope they remake FF7 with PS3.

Polygon
October 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM
i hope they release a pc version if they do make a remake. I'm not shelling out money for a ps3 for one game.

and saying any game is a 'baby's rpg' is pretty stupid =)

and i enjoyed ff7. i cant really play it now cause the graphics are painfully bad, and it makes it hard to play cause you cant see things like doors since the backgrounds are just prerendered images....

Keymaster
October 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
i hope they release a pc version if they do make a remake. I'm not shelling out money for a ps3 for one game.

and i enjoyed ff7. i cant really play it now cause the graphics are painfully bad, and it makes it hard to play cause you cant see things like doors since the backgrounds are just prerendered images....

Try running it in a Windows 98 virtual machine. That should fix your problem. If they made a remake, I'd spend the money on a ps3 and a new tv to take advantage of the graphics, because I'm long overdue for a new tv, and ps3 anyway, and that game would just push me over the edge ;)

Changturkey
October 13th, 2008, 09:55 PM

There is a PC version of the original FF7, probably really hard to find now.

Polygon
October 14th, 2008, 02:27 AM
There is a PC version of the original FF7, probably really hard to find now.

i know that, i was saying i hope there is one if sony decides to do another ff7 remake with actually semi modern 3d graphics, rather then the pre-rendered backgrounds and 10 polygon characters that was ff7 for the playstation. course it will never happen cuase sony are greedy devils and want ppl to buy the ps3 just for that game.

mrgnash
October 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Meh. Even within the Square stable, I thought Chrono Trigger/Cross, FFVIII and Vagrant Story were better. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is probably my greatest game of all time though.

S0VERE1GN
October 14th, 2008, 03:34 AM
FFVII, best game ever

I also hold a special place in my heart for FF VIII.

yea, draw system sucked, story was amazing.

Trail
October 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I like ff8 more than ff7 :|

graabein
October 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Must. Stop. Making. Sense. Of all time. Ever. :confused:

toupeiro
October 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I have the PC version of FF7.. Actually its the only version I've ever had as I don't own a PS.

I'll definitely give FF7 props for probably the best Final Fantasy storyline, but as for the graphics, it kinda bugged me with the blocky hands and all.. I mean, there were better looking graphics even for games around its time. It just seemed like they cut some corners on what undoubtedly became the most famous Final Fantasy. I think they hit the marker perfectly as far as graphics on later Final Fantasies. Even 8 was so far improved over 7 from a graphics standpoint.

Sealbhach
October 14th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I loved FF7.

The music was amazing. Can you get .wavs or oggs of it anywhere?

ooobuntooo
October 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I thought there was going to be a re-make for PS3 or something.

Changturkey
October 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I loved FF7.

The music was amazing. Can you get .wavs or oggs of it anywhere?

Boss theme is awesome.

Polygon
October 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM
you can get the raw playstation music files off the internet somewhere, i dunno if you can play them in linux however (usually all of the plugins are for winamp.....)

bigbear2350
October 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cloud is in Kingdom hearts =)

dynamethod
October 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Absolutly, FF7 for me is the best game of all time, but i think FF8 is very very very close to FF8(cactuar gf ftw lol), so i'd have to say FF7/8 are my fav of all, played them back in the day on the ps1, wouldve been 15 at the time i think

miss those two games heaps, would be awesome if they were re-released with upgraded graphics or something

DirtDawg
October 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Okay, FF7 is one of the best RPG's out there, especially for the time. But I never finished it (I've tried twice), because there is so. much. dialogue.

There are literally 20 and 30 minute intervals where the player does nothing but press a single button to advance text. No way to skip it. No way to speed it up. Absolutely mind-numbingly boring.

Polygon
October 15th, 2008, 02:52 AM
maybe you should try reading the text =)

and god help you if you try reading a book :O

sw1995
October 15th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I too loved that game - however Dragon Warrior for the NES was a formidable experience in my life and although I wouldn't rank it as the BEST RPG ever, it is definitely my favorite. I play it every once in a while for nostalgia's sake, but the pace is so incredibly slow I couldn't imagine someone who grew up with more modern RPG's to ever understand how incredible/ingenious that game was when it came out. I'll never forget the day I finally killed the Green Dragon.

DirtDawg
October 15th, 2008, 03:48 AM
maybe you should try reading the text =)

and god help you if you try reading a book :O

Lol, I know. I'm one of the few who loves RPGs, but doesn't give two toots about the stories. Most RPGs have something to do with a "chosen one" who defeats some bad guy trying to rule the universe blah blah blah. The plot for FF7, at least as far as I got, was outstanding. But the writing itself was not great and often very slooooooooow with lots of, IMO, unnecessary dialogue.

Besides, is it too much to ask to include a scene skip button for guys like me? :)

.jeger
October 15th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I'm going to have to put my vote in for FFVI followed by Chrono Trigger. FFVI coming to GBA is the only reason that I own a Game Boy Advance, and Chrono Trigger to the DS is why I am getting a DS for Christmas.