PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow after upgrading distribution

japtar10101
May 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
I've should have asked this earlier, but oh well...
When ever I try to upgrade my, say, Feisty Fawn to Gutsy Gibbons, or Gutsy Gibbons to Hardy Heron, the operating system works more slower than simply re-imaging it. I'm tired of burning CDs, though, and would much rather stick to "upgrading by internet" method. Any ideas on how to make my system work more efficiently, and why it tends to slow down after upgrade?

Note: Actually, I did find one reason why it acts so slowly: for some reason, upgrading causes it to use the past OS (with outdated kernal) on start-up. Performance have significantly increased after going to System->Admin->Start-up, and then changing the OS to the latest version.
Unfortunately, I don't find this improvement to be good enough. Could the package cache may be the reason for slow-down?

zvacet
May 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
How many kernels do you have installed?You donīt need more then two(latest from Hardy and Gutsy until you are sure that Hardy kernel is working wit no problems).Go to the synaptic and in search box type linux-image and delete all with lower number (as mantion before leave Gutsy and Hardy).

sudo update-grub

You can try this to see if it helps

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean

japtar10101
May 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks, howver, nothing significant happened.

Now that I think of it, it may just be my graphics card. Let me see what happens if I re-install the library for my ATI Radeon-something or other graphics card.