PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Logical partitions are default ?

randysparks
May 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
I seems that in Hardy Ubuntu automatically creates a new logical partition for the root and swap, after it's shrunk the Windows partition.

Is this default behaviour?

forestpixie
May 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
I believe it is - the logic I assume being that you can only have 4 primary partitions, including extended partitions. AS buntu will install to logical partitions it makes sense to not use 2 seperate primary partitions to achieve the aim.

randysparks
May 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
I believe it is - the logic I assume being that you can only have 4 primary partitions, including extended partitions. AS buntu will install to logical partitions it makes sense to not use 2 seperate primary partitions to achieve the aim.

I guess it does no harm, but the problem is that the root partition is now typically numbered 5 in fdisk -l (and 0,4 in GRUB), on a dual-boot system, which screws up a lot of instructions out there on how to do stuff under Ubuntu, and also confuses newbies a little. It took me a minute or two to work out what was going on.

But thanks for the help.

zvacet
May 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
Ubuntu will install on primary and logical partition with same result.So,that is no problem.Why is your root on hda5 doesn´t depend of partition type.It depends of what is installed before Ubuntu.