PDA

View Full Version : Word Count in pdf file?

Maratonda
May 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hi,
is there an application/reader/CLI utility that is able to count the number of words in a pdf file? thanks

aeiah
May 21st, 2008, 11:48 AM
as a quick work around, you could just copy it all into open office or whatever office progam you use and do a word count from there. you should be able to ctrl+a ctrl+c to grab everyword in the file.

there is probably another way though if you're going to be doing this a lot. most things can be manipulated and automated

brunovecchi
May 23rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Take a look at pdfinfo. It's in the repositories.

Maratonda
May 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
mm..couldn't find info about the number of words...it's kind of weird that major readers, acrobat included, don't have this feature.

aeiah
May 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
there's an app called pdf to text. you could probably pipe it to word count with something like

pdftotext nameof.pdf | wc -w -

thats assuming -w means 'words' and pdftotext is used like that. the end hyphen will pipe the output to stdout (ie, it'll print it to the terminal screen).

i dunno if this will do strange things though. it depends how your pdf is set out and whether pdftotext does something weird when converting. if you find it leaves a lot of slashes or weird symbols where images are or something you could always pipe it to sed to remove them before piping it to wc

adking80
April 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=aeiah;5024198]there's an app called pdf to text. you could probably pipe it to word count with something like

pdftotext nameof.pdf | wc -w -

Thanks! This worked great except the STDOUT hyphen should be before the pipe instead of after. Even though I have a lot of equations and figures, the text file looked like a reasonable approximation, except I think wc counts all the dots in the table of contents -- might have added a thousand extra words but it's ok for a ballpark :p

s.fox
April 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Necromancy :D

kaibob
April 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=aeiah;5024198]...
Thanks! This worked great except the STDOUT hyphen should be before the pipe instead of after. Even though I have a lot of equations and figures, the text file looked like a reasonable approximation, except I think wc counts all the dots in the table of contents -- might have added a thousand extra words but it's ok for a ballpark :p

I was curious about wc counting periods and ran a few tests using the command line shown below. As expected, wc does not count dots that follow a word. However, dots were counted as words when they were on a separate line. I guess this is consistent with the wc definition of word:

The wc utility shall consider a word to be a non-zero-length string of characters delimited by white space.

Not important but I was curious.

pdftotext nameof.pdf - | tr -d '.' | wc -w -