PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade my hardware?

Spaceman9
May 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM
After installing Ubuntu 8.04 when I reboot I get an Error 15 message and it won't boot the OS. 8.04 sees my hard drives out of order and as sd instead of hd. I only have PATA drives. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there something I can type into Grub to fix it?

Ubuntu 7.04 and Kubuntu 7.10 install without problems. Did Ubuntu change the installer so it only sees drives as sd? Did Ubuntu remove the code that sees drives as hd or PATA drives? Do I need to upgrade my hardware to use 8.04? Thankx for any help.

Patb
May 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Spaceman, Ubuntu has been using sd notation for a while now. It seems that maybe your grub menu is not consistent with the device notation but it's not clear why.

You could reinstall grub using the instructions here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

If that seems confusing or just doesn't work, post the output of each of these commands run from a terminal:

sudo fdisk -l
sudo blkid
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

Do I need to upgrade my hardware to use 8.04?
Probably not, but you haven't indicated what that hardware might be ;).

Cheers, Pat.

Spaceman9
May 21st, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thank you Patb I'll read it, but I bet I'm going to end up having to use freespire. Freespire uses Ubuntu 7.10 and I've never had any problems with Ubuntu untill 8.04. So I don't know what's going on.

I built my computer in 2001 so it's really old hardware now. My bios is from 1999.

dstew
May 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
If you had another Ubuntu system on your computer before, and you installed 8.04 without installing grub, you can get this error. I assume you get the error 15 at the start of the grub boot, before you get a menu. Am I correct? The fix is to re-install grub. It is easy to do. The link in Patb's post has the intructions.

Spaceman9
May 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Thank you dstew, I'll try to fix grub. I didn't have anything on my drive. I reformatted it first so I'd have a clean install.

Spaceman9
June 28th, 2008, 04:10 AM
This is an update on the Error 15 problem. I solved this problem by taking all the partitions off my first 2 drives with the partition thing in Ubuntu. Then I made a root and a home and a swap partition on the first drive. Then I installed PCLOS and it's GRUB on the MBR of the second drive and then installed Ubuntu 8.04 and it's GRUB on the MBR of the first drive.

I still got the Error 15 message so I had to edit the Ubuntu GRUB so it could find it's GRUB on hd0,0. I haven't had any problems with booting since.