PDA

View Full Version : Is compiz addictive? Seriusly is it?

joslinar
May 21st, 2008, 04:43 AM
I have to use with a WinXP at work and after all these years with it, it is functional but full of security threats and specially boring. OS X is cool and safer and has some more eye candy but still left me wanting for more. Vista?... I won't even go there for now. But Ubuntu/Compiz is awesome. I really don't want to use something else and I wouldn't if it wasn't for my work. The look and feel is like working with physical objects. And I just can't close the lid on this laptop. My wife... well not so happy about it.

I would really like to hear your thoughts.
Maybe we should even open a support group for Ubuntu/Compiz addiction.

May Ubuntu & Peace reign humanity.

-grubby
May 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Well after playing with Wobbly windows for 3 hours straight, you do get rather bored of Compiz

joslinar
May 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I guess you end up seeing everything in the world wobby.

Chilli Bob
May 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
After a couple of days the novelty fades. After a couple of weeks it's just annoying.

At least that's what I found.

bufsabre666
May 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM
after this long with compiz the only thing i leave on is the zoom and annotate, other than that im not much into eye candy, i like functional things

cardinals_fan
May 21st, 2008, 04:52 AM
Not for me, judging by the fact that I dislike it and don't use it.

myusername
May 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM
yeah it does. but trying to make your system faster doesn't

FuturePilot
May 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM
I love Compiz. :guitar:

cubeist
May 21st, 2008, 05:12 AM
I find compiz has changed the way I work, for the better. I don't think I could live without it. I agree most plugins are purely for the eye candy, but some are truly functional. My favourites are the group and tab feature, the screenshot feature, quick zoom, desktop wall (I don't like the cube 'cause I can't remember which side I have left stuff on!)and the shift switcher.

swoll1980
May 21st, 2008, 05:15 AM
I have become so accustomed to the open, close, and minimize effects, the stretch effect when I'm resizing, the wobbly windows, the zoom utility, the window previews, and the window switcher. When I use a computer without them it seems dead and boring. I never cared for the cube, or the wall, or any of the other play things.

uraldinho
May 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM
I used to have it on my ubuntu. I used it to impress my friends and show off linux capabilities. Then the novelty wore off...

Now I don't have any fancy graphics on my computer. Just normal themes....

HermanAB
May 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
It crashes too often to be either addictive or annoying...

Twitch6000
May 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
well I find only certain things in compiz are truly useful.
the rest are just eye candy.

Living2007
May 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM
I don't have it yet, so I don't know!

Lostincyberspace
May 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM
no

jrusso2
May 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM
I have to use with a WinXP at work and after all these years with it, it is functional but full of security threats and specially boring. OS X is cool and safer and has some more eye candy but still left me wanting for more. Vista?... I won't even go there for now. But Ubuntu/Compiz is awesome. I really don't want to use something else and I wouldn't if it wasn't for my work. The look and feel is like working with physical objects. And I just can't close the lid on this laptop. My wife... well not so happy about it.

I would really like to hear your thoughts.
Maybe we should even open a support group for Ubuntu/Compiz addiction.

May Ubuntu & Peace reign humanity.

I turn off compiz after about an hour or so of just playing around with it.

I don't think it helps my productivity and it seems to make everything else run buggy.

SupaSonic
May 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM
Compiz is stable for me at work, so I use pretty much all the eye candy I can get there. I also use awn an work.

At home, I don't even have xcompmgr running, because composite seems to be the root of all evil on my hardware.

I see little difference between the two. One is prettier, but functionally they are pretty much identical.

grossaffe
May 21st, 2008, 07:59 AM
I found Opacity (or rather transparency) to be very useful, especially when dealing with terminals. if i'm looking up a command on the internet, i can have the terminal up, but trasparent, while having the internet up behind it letting me see all i need to see.

ad_267
May 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
I used to turn of Compiz but I've started using it now with Hardy as it seems a bit more stable. I've also started using AWN. Not sure how long that will last though. I find that gnome-look.org and also these forums are more addictive than Compiz, especially when I have assignments and projects to work on haha.

the yawner
May 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
First few months I was a cube-addict. But then I found myself spinning the cube less and less to find which workspace I'm working on, using expo instead. I then came to conclude that I work better with the wall because it's more spatial oriented. I think.

quinnten83
May 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
eye candy is nice.
What I find I can't live without anymore is the scale plugin.

Cresho
May 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
I think it is very productive if you adapt it to your needs. In one screen, i have around 2-4 windows opened up organizing my files while ftp! In a second window, I have music and an editor running. in my third one, browsing, homework, etc, i leave my pc on and each desktop has its own thing going. i use alt+tab when enabled to shuffle through all the windows and it gets my target according to what I need. It is very productive once you nail it. The shadows, transparent menus, Yakuake is just too awsome. My awn runs at the bottom and has my most used applications. I can't do this in windows. It is so annoying.

If you are a power user, compiz is very productive. OHH i forgot to mention when I am playing games on another screen and leave it paused.

Soo addictive too when it runs silky smooth!, shadows, awsome icons, awsome themes etc. I think i have the best desktop just because I seen the other ones and it just don't look as good as mines. :lolflag:

Delever
May 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
You know the feature when you drag the window near screen edge, the window flips to another workspace? Well, i found that you can set it to flip even after pointing mouse there. However, all edge sensible to that is kind of annoying, but you can change it only to corners. Now when i point my mouse to left or right corner, cube flips to left or right. Two weeks later, and I can't live without this feature :)

Sand & Mercury
May 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I find myself actually a bit more comfortable using Compiz, if only for shadows and some other minor bells and whistles. Scale plugin is really useful too, but overall the comfort the aesthetic of Compiz gives actually gets me a bit more productive. Not too fussed about having my desktop rotate in cubes or having windows that burn up, though.

Vista's DWM and Mac's Aqua are great in their own ways too, but Compiz takes it for me.

angry_johnnie
May 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, and no.

It's shiny, and I like shiny. :-) But I also like snappy. I find myself booting into openbox more and more often. It's not shiny, but it's very snappy.

Unless one is trying to show off, snappy > shiny.