PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 8.04 Ready for Prime Time Now?

bilijoe
May 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM
So, what's the consensus at this point? Have the "early bugs" been worked out? Is 8.04 "ready for prime time?":) In other words, should I recommend it to my friends who are rank newbies, or should I continue to recommend they install 7.10--for now? It seems as if most of the chatter over [early] problems has died down. The only glitch I see remaining is that the "Check if Already Posted" function is essentially useless.:( It has NEVER found so much as a single match for me, and I am sure, not all my posts are unique. The old forum's equivalent tool ALWAYS popped up, at least a couple of [possible] matches. They weren't always good matches, but, more often than not, they were, and they led me to some very useful information I might not otherwise have found. I miss that functionality, and sometimes feel that I must be loading down the forums with redundant crap. But, since I have no way of knowing any more, I put 'em out there, even if I am almost certain that I cannot be the only one who has ever had "this" question, and that, somewhere in the mass of valuable information contained in all the posts and answers, there must already be an answer. I really hope I am not the only one who feels this way, and that, eventually, we get a function that acts a lot more like the old one, and a lot less like the [useless] new one.

Slim Odds
May 21st, 2008, 04:21 AM
Paragraphs are nice. I got lost half way through your post and gave up.....

bmac
May 21st, 2008, 04:43 AM
Why not start them off in Gusty and let them decide when to move to Hardy,
Hardy actually improved the performance of my machine and many of the new updates were welcome here. I also noticed a large portion of the forum had very specific problems with either hardware or individual applications. The hardware issues, are often times a result of the OEM and not Ubuntu. That can also be said for many applications, for example ff3.

The only issue I had with my system and router occurred immediately after upgrade requiring a change to my log in screen resolution in xconfig. Beyond that 0 complaints.

However, many individuals have obviously experienced problems as indicated by the number of post referring to these issues. The one certainty is the volume of posts has decreased immensely and has become more specific and technical in nature. The real question is how many people installed Hardy with results similar to mine, that never posted or even joined the forum.

I truly believe that when converting anyone to Hardy they must be willing to learn a new system and not expect it to be M$. I converted numerous people last year and they have all upgraded to Hardy with excellent results. I did inform them prior to installing Gusty that they needed to keep an open mind and not expect Windars. I believe this prepared them for the experience...

Of course I also advised them to join the forum in case they needed support or wished to participate in what I believe is the best forum on the internet....

Just a thought...

bilijoe
May 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Parapgrahs are nice. I got lost half way through your post and gave up..... So... what's your point? Is it a style thing? Maybe your screen font is too small. I had that problem; I kept losing track when I'd go on to the next line. So, I went out and got a really big monitor. Long posts are much easier to read now. Out of curiosity, I went back and reread my original post. I have ADD, and so, often get lost when reading, but I didn't find anything that seemed to point to the cause for your comment. I guess, like most of us though, it wouldn't hurt me to review Strunk and White, again--just to stay in good with the language police. Sorry if I inconvenienced you, or wasted your time. (BTW, you misspelled "paragraphs").

kellemes
May 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
(BTW, you misspelled "paragraphs").

I like your style, nothing wrong with it, although I like paragrafs myself ;-)

I'd advise people to use the newest Ubuntu version, the chance it'll work on there machine is bigger. Don't forget there are 360+ distro's out there, and some of them doing a better job.
As far as I know the new forum is still in the making, it's not yet on the same level of features, stability, performance as the old forum. This also has to do with a huge increase of members since Hardy.

wpshooter
May 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
My advice on Hardy would be, NO.

I don't think it is (yet) compatible with as many applications as Gutsy.

As soon as some of the bugs (caused by changes to the O/S) in the applications are fixed, then Hardy, YES, most definately.

bilijoe
July 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The last opinion posted in response to this question was some time ago. Any current opinions anyone would like to share?

loell
July 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM
don't just take my word when I say , Yes in 8.04.1

try it out...

xen-uno
July 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM
Not for the masses yet ... still too complicated, too CL driven, and fault intolerant ... if that's what you mean. 8.04 was easy compared to 7.10 on a clean install basis. Sound worked better initially out of 7.10 as I'm having trouble with alsa/totem(xine)/pulseaudio. I can play a DVD only if I kill the pulseaudio process (audio already in use error) when using totem (doesn't happen with VLC). Other than that though, 8.04 improves the OS a bit, though I still had to do a lot of searching to get flash, DVD playback, and audio working well. No Nvidia display or major GRUB problems this time around which was nice.

aysiu
July 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM
I've moved this to the Community Cafe, as it seems to be more about general opinion than specific technical support.

ghindo
July 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
I'm pleased with 8.04.1. 8.04 definitely had some growing pains, but I think that it's mostly been worked out in 8.04.1. Will your friends similarly enjoy it? Depends. Are they willing to spend the time to transition to Ubuntu? Are they willing to learn new skills, adopt new attitudes? Is there any programs they use at the moment that they wouldn't be able to use in Ubuntu?

There are a lot of factors which affect how well someone takes to Ubuntu (and Linux in general). The only way to know for sure is to have them try it out, which is fortunately getting easier and easier.

Also, the OP is a bit confusing.

madjr
July 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM
the new ubuntu QA (quality assurance) team

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=864856

Mazza558
July 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
8.04.1 is fine for me, except I have no sound in flash and the ATi driver's still very poor.

loell
July 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
8.04.1 is fine for me, except I have no sound in flash and the ATi driver's still very poor.

which is of course not Ubuntu's fault.

fatality_uk
July 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
ALSA is a pain in the butt for me. While Hardy is LTS, I do get the feeling it's a bit of a diamond in the rough. I have a Gutsy box and that is solid as can be.

bilijoe
July 27th, 2008, 06:49 AM
A couple of nights ago, I did a nice clean new install of 8.04.1. At first, I was rather pleased, but, it seemed as if, the longer it ran, the less responsive the UI became. Especially annoying was the response to the mouse's scroll wheel. Eventually (after about an hour) it got to where I could fiddle with the wheel a bit, then sit back, and, for the next four or five minutes, watch the screen sloooly follow the movements I'd made. Well, shucks. And it was so pretty too. It was late, so I packed it in for the night, intending to write a post to this thread, saying that I felt 8.04.1 was NOT yet ready for prime time, and install 7.10 on the same machine, the next day. As I was preparing to snooze, however, I remembered there had [still] been significant rumblings about FireFox 3 not being quite ready yet--and that was the app I was using almost the entire time. So, today, before hosing the 8.04.1 install, I installed FireFox 2, and removed all traces of v3. That did it. I now have a nice, pretty, new 8.04.1 install I am quite happy with. A few minor glitches remain, but I'm not even sure they are Linux issues. The most annoying is that the movie player now takes several seconds to move to the next item in the play list, which rather chops up segmented videos that haven't yet been edited into a single piece. Pretty lightweight stuff, and, as likely as not, a Movie Player issue. So, I concur with most of the recent posters, who seem to think 8.04.1 is "close enough: to ready for prime time, to make the switch.:)