PDA

View Full Version : Mandriva to the rescue

wolfen69
May 21st, 2008, 02:33 AM
i was trying to install ubuntu on a clients laptop and wireless didnt want to play nice. there were a few other minor niggles also. these people are paying me, so it has to be PERFECT. i tried fedora 9, but i didnt have the patience to learn new tricks. i was ready to give up and just put vista by itself on it. so i popped in my Mandy cd and lo and behold, everything works great. :guitar:

just thought i'd share.

karellen
May 21st, 2008, 12:11 PM
yeap, I found Mandriva to be quite a nice distro too

AdamWill
May 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Nice story :) Thanks for sharing. Of course, next week you'll find a system where Mandriva doesn't quite get the native resolution right, but Ubuntu does, or something. The way Linux works, it's susceptible to these minor differences between distros.

wolfen69
May 22nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Nice story :) Thanks for sharing. Of course, next week you'll find a system where Mandriva doesn't quite get the native resolution right, but Ubuntu does, or something. The way Linux works, it's susceptible to these minor differences between distros.

exactly. that's why i keep at least 20 different distros in my cd case. :)

jrusso2
May 22nd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Yes I have been using Mandriva on my new PC and its pretty sharp. One of the best installs I have ever done. Hardware detection is amazing.

Got apt working on it.

Virtual box, works really well. And it setup my network printer without even me having to direct it. Just detected it on the network and found out what it was and set it all up. A first for any Linux I have run.