PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Youtube, MySpace, Other Flash Video Blank in Firefox 3

Dr. Faustus
May 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM
For some reason in Firefox 3 beta flash video and players keeps coming up blank in Hardy. It never happened before the upgrade.

I found this thead, http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-679446.html, on the subject. I thought I'd try their solution

While competent, I'm not terribly savy and my xorg.conf file doesn't have a "driver" section. I thought "no problem, I"ll just add one."

When I added:

Section "driver"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
EndSection

To my xorg.conf file it failed on the restart and I had to change it back in safe mode.

What is to be done? Any help is greatly appreciated.

konungursvia
May 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Did you install or enable Noscript? If so, make sure you temporarily allow the web page in question, by right clicking on it, then enabling under Noscript. Also, look up a search including the terms "flash enable hardy" and make sure flash is enabled.

Dr. Faustus
May 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM
I have flash enabled. The other night I re-installed the plugins for Flash 9, and I could watch Youtube vids again. Today when I started the computer back up it didn't work. I suppose I can re-install the flash plugin again, but I can't be doing that every night.

I'm fairly certain it's a problem within Firefox 3 Beta and not Ubuntu itself. I only tried messing with the xorg.conf file because I'm at a loss for how to fix this.

The Noscript thing sounds promising though. I'm attempting that as we speak.

Dr. Faustus
May 21st, 2008, 01:29 AM
Okay, so I installed the NoScript add on, and when I allow a band's MySpace or a Youtube vid, it allows it and then shows a white box. What's that all about?

Dr. Faustus
May 21st, 2008, 01:36 AM
I found this old thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=774830

On the same subject. I probably should have searched more beforehand.

edit: To hell with it. I'm just going to go back to Firefox 2 and wait for the proper release of Firefox 3. Hopefully they'll fix it by then.