PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I remove it?

ophion
May 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I installed xubuntu-desktop under Ubuntu to try it out, did not see any advantage over a Gnome desktop, and now want to remove xubuntu-desktop. Removing the package in Synaptic does not remove the Xubuntu applications that were installed.

kellemes
May 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I installed xubuntu-desktop under Ubuntu to try it out, did not see any advantage over a Gnome desktop, and now want to remove xubuntu-desktop. Removing the package in Synaptic does not remove the Xubuntu applications that were installed.

That's correct.. you need to do that by hand. Just browse the synaptic packagelist, search for xfce and xubuntu and remove the stuff you don't need.

aroch1
May 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM
There should be a list of packages to remove on the psychocats ubuntu webpage!

I've found that info useful when trying xubuntu out in the past.

ophion
May 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
There should be a list of packages to remove on the psychocats ubuntu webpage!

I've found that info useful when trying xubuntu out in the past.

Thank you. That was quite useful. For those arriving via a search, the complete URL is below.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

HunterSBuntu
May 21st, 2008, 01:34 PM
Awesome, I'm looking to do this too.

Can't get xfce to work so bye bye Xubuntu.

Thanks for the link.

foresto
May 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
If you installed the xubuntu-desktop package manually, after removing it, you might get a list of automatically installed packages in Synaptic's "Installed (auto removable)" Status category.

ripin1
May 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
i beileve there is a command for it, dont put this, cause im not for sure but i thing its like
sudo aptitude remove xubuntu-desktop something of that nature. i did the exact samething with kde but i found some other website to tell me, and i didnt remove kde. but the commands are on that site. would tell you if i could remember what it was.

instead of remove, it might be uninstall xubuntu-desktop