PDA

View Full Version : Is this cool with the compiz people? Do they know about it?

-random
May 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15100

Looks like an exact copy of compiz fusion under another name :mad:

geoken
May 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM
It's a copy of a single plugin, not a copy of Compiz Fusion.

Anyway, I doubt anyone cares. It's not like they aren't crediting Compiz.

Half-Left
May 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It's not even free software, 14 day trial. :lolflag:

Whos copying who now eh!

piousp
May 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
They can do whatever they want.

hellomoto
May 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
compiz has many more features than just the cube. plus because you have to pay for it... its not taking anything away from compiz

swoll1980
May 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
If there not using compiz code they can do whatever they want. If they are all they have to do is open the source and they can do whatever they want

yssida
May 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
What if they did use compiz code. But nah, if I were them, I'd just take a peek at the code and create my own from scratch.

prshah
May 20th, 2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15100

Looks like an exact copy of compiz fusion under another name :mad:

It was originally Yodm'3d (Yet another desktop manager - 3D) which was freeware, until it was bought out by DeskSpace and converted into commercial.

I have earlier used Yodm'3d and it's wonderful, but nowhere near compiz/beryl/emerald in class. But it's good "show-off" value for those with Windows...

original_jamingrit
May 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Unless it's Compiz Fusion for Windows, it's not worth paying money for.
from that thread. Ironic, yet true. Way too many features missing, and the desktop cube lacks live previews.

tamoneya
May 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I think it would be awesome if compiz was ported to windows. There are so many people who think that linux is command line and nothing else. It would also make a lot of people think twice about buying vista. However I also realize that this is rather unrealistic since compiz isnt just the flashy plugin but instead the whole windows manager.

Sugz
May 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
i dont think it will be possible for Compiz to be ported correct me if im wrong. but compix actually physically replaces the window manager. Windows Fixed window manager is Explorer, but correct me if im wrong, Im not a fan of cubes on Windows, but on Linux they are actually uefull and quite fun :popcorn:

smartboyathome
May 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It is possible to port compiz, but so much would have to be changed that it generally isn't worth it.

klange
May 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
It is possible to port compiz, but so much would have to be changed that it generally isn't worth it.
You'd need a perfect X server for Windows - and one doesn't even remotely exist. Probably the entire POSIX compatibility set as well, lots of small things there. Porting Compiz to Windows would result in the ultimate dependency hell.