PDA

View Full Version : Nokia eyes wider usage of Linux in cellphones

Sporkman
May 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080520/tc_nm/nokia_linux_dc_1

Nokia eyes wider usage of Linux in cellphones

By Tarmo Virki 17 minutes ago

PARIS (Reuters) - The world's top handset maker Nokia Oyj (NOK1V.HE) expects the role of the Linux operating system in its product portfolio to increase as the role of its Internet-focused devices grows, company officials said.

Linux has so far had little success on cellphones, but its role is increasing as more new Linux-based models reach the market, while Google Inc (GOOG.O) gave it a vote of confidence by using it to build its Android platform on.

Nokia itself has used Linux for years in its Internet tablets, large phone-like devices used to access Internet on the go, but lacking calling functionality. "We will expand that range, and we believe that the role of Linux will grow," said Nokia spokesman Kari Tuutti.

Linux is the most popular type of open source operating system which is available to the public to be used, revised and shared -- meaning it has a large developer community which could result in more attractive programs and lower costs for the likes of Nokia.

Nokia has used the tablets to target technology-savvy consumers or support emerging technologies like WiMAX.

"It's going to be terribly important," Nokia's Chief Financial Officer Rick Simonson told an investor conference when asked about the role of Linux-based tablets.

He said the company has been developing the next generation of Linux-based products, which are starting to come to the market.

The market for software platforms on cellphones is led by Nokia's S60, built on the Symbian operating system, well ahead of Microsoft's (MSFT.O) Windows Mobile.

However, many mobile industry heavyweights, including Vodafone (VOD.L), Motorola (MOT.N), NTT DoCoMo (9437.T), Samsung Electronics (005930.KS), Huawei (HWT.UL) and LG Electronics (066570.KS), have joined Linux alliances.

Linux suppliers earn money selling improvements and technical services and Linux competes directly with offerings from Microsoft, which charges for its Windows software and opposes freely sharing its code.

(Reporting by Tarmo Virki and Helsinki bureau; Editing by David Holmes)

bigbrovar
May 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Nokia uses a lot of Linux tech in their product .. the least there can do is to at least give back to the community ...they can start here ..make a Linux Version of the Nokia pc suit ..

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, it will be great if Nokia got into the linux game.

PmDematagoda
May 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Yes, it will be great if Nokia got into the linux game.

Hasn't it already done that with their purchase of Trolltech and their support of KDE?

Kernel Sanders
May 20th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thank god! Nokia's current OS, Symbian, is RUBBISH. It's like Windows ME for mobiles :(

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hasn't it already done that with their purchase of Trolltech and their support of KDE?

well yes, but so far not a whole lot has been done.
I mean its cool that Nokia still allows QT to remain true and free for noncommercial use, but so far they contributed little.

PmDematagoda
May 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thank god! Nokia's current OS, Symbian, is RUBBISH. It's like Windows ME for mobiles :(

It's not that bad, granted that it has as much viruses as Windows does, but it works really well and the 9 series is really good. I have a 6600 myself and most of the time I wonder how the OS survived all the years of brutish treatment and emerged uninfected, I am really impressed by Symbian for that.

PmDematagoda
May 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
well yes, but so far not a whole lot has been done.
I mean its cool that Nokia still allows QT to remain true and free for noncommercial use, but so far they contributed little.

Not really, from what I've seen they were also part of the GStreamer project, so they were in the Linux game for quite a while. And also I've heard of rumours that Nokia has applied for position as a KDE patron, so that should eliminate a good number of fears.

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Not really, from what I've seen they were also part of the GStreamer project, so they were in the Linux game for quite a while. And also I've heard of rumours that Nokia has applied for position as a KDE patron, so that should eliminate a good number of fears.

well I did say "so far"
if they contributed to gstreamer, good for them but I am holding up my skeptic card.

Depressed Man
May 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I think there's also maemo (it's what runs on their Internet Tablets).

bigbrovar
May 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
tot i read some where that nokia were going to release the qt framework for windows mobile http://msmobiles.com/news.php/7140.html .. u see that is what happens when big business buy open source .. what they only care about the the profit .. not how to help the open source community ... so now when Nokia helps MS is using QT tech to make their product better .. what will then happen to Linux mobile devices ..Nokia dont care about Open source they care about their profits .. why havnt they made a Nokia PC suit for Linux for example .. tot they had a Linux based Internet tablet .. the least they can do is give back to the community for all the have benefited from it ..

Methuselah
May 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM
QT was always looked at a little suspiciously.
That's why we have Gnome built with GTK.