PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no default movie maker software?

DugieHowsa
May 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I was just thinking that all the major operating systems have basic movie making software by default. Windows has Movie Maker. Apple has iMovie. Small, simple programs that allow any desktop user to piece together a small home movie that they can then post on YouTube or burn to a DVD.

Why doesn't Ubuntu have such a feature? Sure, there are several programs out there, that you can download and install. But many are buggy or not actively developed. Why not provide a small, basic application that compares to what other vendors are providing?

artir
May 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Because we have uber good but very hard editors(cinelerra) and very easy and simple(Pitivi). The one who stands in the middle is kdenlive and its based on Qt. Anyway, its not as easy as Pitivi.
To be included, it would need to be an easy yet powerful editor and we still dont have that :(

rickyjones
May 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I was just thinking that all the major operating systems have basic movie making software by default. Windows has Movie Maker. Apple has iMovie. Small, simple programs that allow any desktop user to piece together a small home movie that they can then post on YouTube or burn to a DVD.

Why doesn't Ubuntu have such a feature? Sure, there are several programs out there, that you can download and install. But many are buggy or not actively developed. Why not provide a small, basic application that compares to what other vendors are providing?

I agree. I tried to get my fiancee to use Ubuntu. This was one of the primary tipping points. No simple movie creator comparable to Windows Movie Maker. She does not need anything more than that, but I could not find one that would fit her needs.

-Richard

SunnyRabbiera
May 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Well you know Ubuntu really doesnt develop its own software, thats up to the open source community.
Movie making in linux was never a big priority, thus why so little has been done.
But there are a few that are looking good, especially kdenlive, once its out of its beta phases it will kick some serious butt.

SlappyPappy
May 20th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Those are some great points. iMovie has become the defacto video editing program for a lot of people with consumer video cameras. Jobs really nailed something by making it so simple and trimmed down.

My friend has two sons and they're like 4 and 5 years old, they edit with iMovie and make some incredible little videos.

The equivalent for Linux would be amazing! :popcorn:

zmjjmz
May 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Open Movie Editor?

DeadSuperHero
May 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I think the main answer is simply: stability. Some, like KDEnlive, can be extremely buggy.

Cinelerra is currently crazy hard to use for me, and PiTiVi and Kino crash all the time for me.

There's always Open Movie Editor, but that interface just merely confuses me.

KDEnlive shows the most promise for KDE, though. Hopefully, we'll see it move over to Qt 4.4, and get proper integration with all those swell KDE4 technologies. (Or so help me God, I will learn all the programming APIs to fork it off.)

Also, LiVES is coming along quite nicely.

klange
May 21st, 2008, 12:52 AM
What I really want to see is all the features of Cinelerra in a nicely organized and stable GTK or QT 4 environment (preferably GTK). Cinelerra is what I use do to all of my video editing, but the interface is straight out of the 80's and the various icons far from professional.

wersdaluv
May 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
Yah. That's a good point.

There may be no good enough app but the point is that, one is needed.

FuturePilot
May 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM
Yes, I've been looking for a simple video editor for a long time.

Of interest.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786894
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=787964

DeadSuperHero
May 21st, 2008, 01:28 AM
Well, looks like KDEnlive is pushing for a KDE4 version. (Yay.)
http://www.kdenlive.org/images/kdenlive-kde4full.png

madjr
May 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM
Well, looks like KDEnlive is pushing for a KDE4 version. (Yay.)
http://www.kdenlive.org/images/kdenlive-kde4full.png

cool i would like to use it in gnome also with Qgtkstyles

quinnten83
May 21st, 2008, 06:33 AM
I agree. I tried to get my fiancee to use Ubuntu. This was one of the primary tipping points. No simple movie creator comparable to Windows Movie Maker. She does not need anything more than that, but I could not find one that would fit her needs.

-Richard

Kino?

quinnten83
May 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM
Open Movie Editor?

too buggy, crashes the moment I start it up.

damoxc
May 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
I think Pitivi is the most promising for the future (making use of gstreamer, fits into gnome well).

It's written in python too so given the time might have to help make it better, not that I personally do any video editing but I agree that it is something missing.