PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Corrupt console text on installation of Hardy server

echofire
May 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hello,

I have just installed 8.04 Server, on a scrap-box parts Pentium III with 1GB RAM. The installation and boot steps went smoothly, but on booting the console display is corrupted. Duplicated and missing characters. It is possible to log in but barely possible to make out the console output for the messed up display. Reminiscent of the wrong baud rate or noisy lines on old style terminals. The same with Alt-F1. Feisty desktop CD boots fine and Alt-F1 from there works fine. Installation CD checks OK. Memory checks OK. I cannot get in through ssh as get 'connection refused' and I'm unable to check config as I can't read the screen. It looks as if 8.04 server, but not 7.04, the installation routine, or GRUB, has configured the console terminal wrongly. Any ideas ?

Thanks

dstew
May 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Try the kernel options vga=791 or vesa=force and see if that helps. What kind of display do you have? Old-style CRT, or an LCD?

echofire
May 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks dstew. Neither of these worked but vga=788 solved the problem. This is an old-style CRT.

Nick