PDA

View Full Version : Your Fantasy Ubuntu OS

bigbrovar
May 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Lets Fantasize about those things that aren't available on Ubuntu now like more games, better wireless support anything u would like to have in Ubuntu if u had the power .. its just fantasy so lets leave out the fact that it might not be technically possible .. ok let me start

-i would love some of the biggest games on pc to have Ubuntu port .. so when u go to their download page u see Ubuntu version as 1 of the download option ...

-i would love to have all hardware makers fall over themselves to have their product Ubuntu certified.. so when i buy say a hard drive or wireless card there would have stickers that says "Ubuntu Capable"

-more laptops vendor ship Ubuntu systems

-i would love to see gimp and inkscape become mainstream and become sooo goood that nobody would feel the did to use commercial and proprietary graphic suit on ubuntu

-i would also love to see a very good professional video editing suit for ubuntu which is open

-also would love to see open source flash editing suit that is even more powerful than dreamweaver - and flash become open source

-finally i would love to see nvidia open up their linux driver and also a nokia pc suit,and a verizon wireless installation suit for ubuntu ...

yeah and itunes too ..

Exershio
May 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'd love it if ATI finally made decent Linux drivers. My current card (Radeon 9550) works like crap with 3d.

Native ports to the most popular games would be great too. No DRM.

Lostincyberspace
May 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
DRM is the worst thing in the world, and should be removed.

sunexplodes
May 20th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'd like to see Ubuntu with Arch's pacman package manager. Best. OS. Ever.

quinnten83
May 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'd like to have ubuntu with the supposed ease of use and proffesional look of mac right out of the box. With lots of software support that is open and free as in beer. I'd like for governements everywhere to adopt ubuntu as it is free and developing countries could benefit and we might stop the digital divide.
i would like everybody to wake up and realize how badly we are treated by software companies and by the entertainment industry, and choose for freedom.

SupaSonic
May 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I really only miss games. Wine doesn't always cut it. Anything else I can do either in Ubuntu or VirtualBox.

Melk79
May 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see a comprehensive, robust and centralized knowledge base. There is so much information available about Ubuntu (and GNU/Linux), but it is very dispersed. In this fantasy world, everyone would contribute to one site and a very nice package (with a pleasant GUI) would be installed on your box to help you sift through the info, bookmark it, etc.

And, I'd also like to see more manufacturers "certify" their products or at least show some level of involvement.

swoll1980
May 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
My fantasies are reserved for things greater than a computer operating system.

DeadSuperHero
May 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM
A nice, easy-to-use, simple movie editor. Something for me to make YouTube videos with, without worrying about the hassle of crashing all the time.

acelin
May 21st, 2008, 12:49 AM
I'd like to have ubuntu with the supposed ease of use and proffesional look of mac right out of the box. With lots of software support that is open and free as in beer. I'd like for governements everywhere to adopt ubuntu as it is free and developing countries could benefit and we might stop the digital divide.
i would like everybody to wake up and realize how badly we are treated by software companies and by the entertainment industry, and choose for freedom.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Clear_Intrepid

Like this.

Jordanwb
May 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM
Midtown Madness 2, Google Sketchup 6, My HP Scanjet 3670 scanner.

[After reading a post about virtual box]

Would the above software work?

Rohen
May 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
ADOBE MASTER SUITE CS3!!!

*Snort*

spupy
May 21st, 2008, 02:14 AM
- Wine 4.2 :cool:

-grubby
May 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM
I'd love to see 100% hardware compatibility
I'd also love to see Flash being taken down and replaced with a more reasonable replacement

Elimination of quicktime would be a godsend

bufsabre666
May 21st, 2008, 02:37 AM
Elimination of quicktime would be a godsend

+1 regardless of OS

Jordanwb
May 21st, 2008, 03:13 AM
+1 regardless of OS

+2 for quicktime. It's incredibly annoying. Good thing VLC can play it.

Rhapsody
May 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM
I currently only have one fantasy, and it's not really an Ubuntu problem. Sound Blaster X-Fi support in ALSA. Well either that or the death of ALSA and OSS coming back (http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2007/05/sorry-state-of-sound-in-linux.html) into the kernel now that it's GPLed again (come on guys, throw 4Front a bone now that they're doing it right). The only other thing I can think of is for someone to tell me there's an end in sight for all this file (http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2007/03/file-dialogs.html) dialog (http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2007/04/file-dialogs-take-2.html) madness (http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2008/01/kde-4-review-insane-style.html). Trolltech and the KDE Team got it right already, stop trying to change things!

sicofante
May 21st, 2008, 03:30 AM
I dream of a millionaire hiring three usability experts to put an end to the sad unpolished state of Gnome/Ubuntu. Waiting for the Gnome devs to understand some basic principles is becoming tedious. (I don't even consider the KDE mess...)

myusername
May 21st, 2008, 04:25 AM
100% hardware compatibility and i was the only one in the world that knew about it

Jordanwb
May 21st, 2008, 04:28 AM
Adding to what Rhapsody said, the one feature about Window's File Dialog boxes is that you can type in a file path. I haven't figured out how to do that in Ubuntu yet.

Living2007
May 21st, 2008, 04:28 AM
DRM turned off, A GUI that uses little resources, Built-in programmer, WINE already built-in, support for all drivers, Apple software and Winmodems.