PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] static ip problems: ubuntu reverts back to DHCP on its own

davidshere
May 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I've faithfully followed the instructions on changing my server to a static IP address here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts-p3
and it works fine. I get a static IP and have internet access. I can access the machine remotely. The problem I'm having is that after a certain amount of time (about 20 minutes) the computer changes itself back to DCHP. I can run "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" and get the static IP back, but 20 mintues later it changes back to DHCP again. It happens quite consistently -- I've seen it happen three times now. Here is my configuration file: (with my IP address starred out)

david@nighthawk:~$ more /etc/network/interfaces
#This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address ***.***.***.104
netmask 255.255.255.0
network ***.***.***.0
gateway ***.***.***.1
broadcast ***.***.***.255

I'm having a problem similar to the one described here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=560064&highlight=goes+back+to+DHCP
Mine is slightly different, though -- his IP changes back to DHCP after he resets the computer; mine goes back to DHCP after about 20 minutes without a reset.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

compgeek83
May 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I had a similar problem, I could use dhcp and get online/share files just fine, but when I setup my static address I couldn't get online at all (or share files). After several times of going back and fourth trying things it finally started working on it's own for no apparent reason....

davidshere
May 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I gave it a while to make sure...

rebooting the machine seems to have solved this problem.

Iowan
May 21st, 2008, 01:59 AM
If it hadn't already fixed itself, you could uncomment this section of /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf and embed your information:

#alias {
# interface "eth0";
# fixed-address 192.5.5.213;
# option subnet-mask 255.255.255.255;
#}