PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 8.04 - gnome-terminal so slow with telnet sessions

realthor
May 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hi, after a 6 months of going back to windows and waiting for the next ubuntu I went back to my beloved distro, now 8.04. One of the things I have problems with now is that when I open a telnet session everything goes so slow that I can really see being typed one letter per second while I write pretty fast. There are moments when the speed is ok, just like in windows but pretty rare.

Do you experience this too and any one knows a solution? (same happends in xterm so I dunno what could this be...telnet protocol?)

Thanks

jtibau
May 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Seems wierd... I guess you are in a local connection. Else you should really think about changing to ssh. Assuming you are in a local connection, it makes no sense to me.

jtibau
May 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I guess I should explain further. This happens to me all the time when I log in to a remote ssh server, but only when I'm downloading stuff and bandwidth is VERY scarce. A telnet/ssh session doesn't use much bandwidth so this is not very common.

realthor
May 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I use telnet to connect at work to a few dozen servers and for that i use my ethernet board. I can't see any reason why this could behave slow as is while in windows it flies.

thanks.

realthor
May 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
I started using ssh as it's no problem with it but if you have any theory i'd be glad to try and solve the telnet issue.

Thanks.