PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy and DVDs...

driebel
May 20th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I upgrade to Hardy today, and am now compiling my list of things that didn't work. I earlier posted about the death of compiz, if you've got ideas, I'd appreciate suggestions.
This post is about DVDs, however. Namely, they don't play anymore. I'm pretty new, so when I got Gutsy, I followed the instructions in "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" to install the w32codecs and totem-xine, which worked nicely. The same instructions don't work anymore, however. I can't find the w32codecs, and totem-xine won't install because it says:

Package totem-xine has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list

Sounds scary to this newbie. Can anyone help me fix my DVD issues?

I'll post later about how Nautilus has also died and my Home desktop link doesn't work anymore, and how suspend now sends my screen into a white screen of death on restore. I love upgrading!!

EXCiD3
May 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
You should really do a fresh install. Upgrades can almost always guarantee problems creeping up.

Search Synaptic for totem and see what results you get, maybe the package was renamed slightly. For playing DVD's check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs