PDA

View Full Version : Does something like this exist?

diablo75
May 20th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Sometimes I think it would be great if my girlfriend and I had some kind of PDA that would have a calendar that would sync together in real time. We could preview each others work schedules and plan our weeks out around each others lives.

What are some ways of doing something like this?

jrusso2
May 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Use google calendar and synch with that. You can share google calendar between users and then you could see each others schedules.

If you don't have internet on the pda there is a plugin for thunderbird and one for Outlook that synchs with google calendar.

FyreBrand
May 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM
You could have a Google or Windows Live shared calendar and allow each other to update that. You can view them with a web browser on your pda/laptop/desktop. There are other more integrated solutions for enterprise applications such as Outlook connected to an Exchange server or Novell. Outlook will also import snapshots of Google or Windows Live calendars, but they aren't real time and I find it really clunky. Shared calendars are easy and work.

Paqman
May 20th, 2008, 01:23 AM
That exactly what me and the missus do. I swear, Google Calendar runs our lives now. If it told us to jump off a cliff, we probably would.

diablo75
May 20th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Ok, I guess I'll have to look into better cell phones. But say...both our phones are capable of browsing simple phone-specific websites (like, the weather channel has one, and there are also search engine style websites). My dream would be for the software designers at Motorola to somehow enhance the built-in calendar feature of the phone and perhaps configure it to send "hidden" update messages back and forth between specific cell phones. You could configure two phones to send a text message of a special kind, yada yada, super useful cell phone.

I know there are communities of cell phone hacking forums. And I've also heard that you could write your own java apps (I think) that can be executed on the phone. I wonder if something could be created for this specific task.... A SMS protocol based open-source synchronized calendar that runs on java. A friend of mine is a programmer... I'm going to see if he might want to do something like this...

Kiefer Rodriguez
May 20th, 2008, 03:15 AM
That exactly what me and the missus do. I swear, Google Calendar runs our lives now. If it told us to jump off a cliff, we probably would.

Haha, I never thought of this idea, but Im thinking I might give it a go, Could make life a little easier, the calendar thing that is- Not the jumping off the cliff.