PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] scp doesn't work

myle
May 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
After the apply of the the patches for the new vulnerability which has been detected, the scp stopped working even though ssh works flawlessly (or at least, it looks like this).
scp requests for a password, connects to the servers and instead of uploading the specified file, prints the first line of the cal which is the month and the year (cal runs every time I log in the system).
How can I fix it?

bikeboy
May 20th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Is your new public key in the authorised_keys file of the remote user you're trying to copy to? You could also try temporarily setting PasswordAuthentication yes in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file of the ssh server to see if it's a key problem or not. You'll need to restart the sshd service after changing settings.

I realise these are basic things you've probably checked (since you say ssh works), but they're worth asking.

kevdog
May 20th, 2008, 04:59 PM
For the life of me I can't get scp to work with filenames or directories with spaces in their names!!! SSH works but not scp. Ive tried /, double quotes, single quotes, combinations, %20, nothing seems to work.

Dr Small
May 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM
For the life of me I can't get scp to work with filenames or directories with spaces in their names!!! SSH works but not scp. Ive tried /, double quotes, single quotes, combinations, %20, nothing seems to work.
I had this problem before. I think I ended up by trying:

scp -r "/path/to/broken\ directory/" host:

myle
May 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Still doesn't work. I have tried "PasswordAuthentication yes" with no obvious result after "/etc/init.d/sshd restart". scp still doesn't work.

Use tab when you are typing the path of your file