PDA

View Full Version : Steve Ballmer gets egged...

isaacj87
May 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Uh, Yeah...you read the title correctly. Apparently, at a conference Ballmer was speaking at, a disgruntled member of the crowd decides he wants to try and serve Ballmer some eggs.

It's definitely awkward.

Here's the link: http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9947314-16.html

smoker
May 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
lucky for the protestor there wasn't a handy chair near ballmer! lol

klange
May 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I don't care who you're throwing them at, throwing eggs is not appropriate behavior.

jrusso2
May 20th, 2008, 12:11 AM
He threw two eggs and it looks like both missed. It may not be appropriate behavior but I do think he probably deserved it.

uraldinho
May 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM
This sort of behaviour can not be condoned.

I can understand the argument of the "egg thrower" that MS created a monopoly, and that tax payers' money goes to Ballmer's pockets, but rather than crying about it, do something about it. Get linux or another system. If he's a uni researcher he can influence his government to do something about it.

Kingsley
May 20th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I guess Ballmer wasn't very Hungary after this experience.

kef_kf
May 20th, 2008, 12:36 AM
ı also dont approve of the protester' s behaviour yet i can relate to his frustration as i too live in a "microsoft country". its not easy to sit back and watch while microsoft siphons not only your hard earned tax money but also the future earnings of your state through licensing fees. it is mainly the administration' s fault, and i understand ms must proliferate in every market it can get its hands on still that doesnt make it ok in my eyes for ballmer (or gates) to manipulate the governments (my government) to take actions that are not beneficiary to the (my) public.
i wouldnt egg him but i sure as hell am not gonna like him (or ms).

days_of_ruin
May 20th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hilarious!:lolflag:

fmartinez
May 20th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Oh man... I wish that was in the US they would of taised that guy! :)
"Don't taese me bro!!!!":lolflag:

mr.propre
May 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM
This reminds me about Bill Gates and "The Pie" in Brussels.
Of cource, its better to make a stance with program code/words instead of eggs :-p

kevin11951
May 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
im glad that it wasnt that bad though, if it was like one of those big mac conferences where they introduce new tech, that would have sucked! :mad:

ubuntu-freak
May 20th, 2008, 01:15 AM
So, throwing eggs at the wealthy and greedy isn't appropiate behaviour? It's something to pass the time at least.

Nathan

qazwsx
May 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Well deserved. :)

LaRoza
May 20th, 2008, 01:43 AM
At least Ballmer handled it in a somewhat professional manner. Of the other videos I have seen of him, I thought he'd flip out or something.

While we are on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpCMJ2xlLfo

Somewhat childish and immature.

Dr Small
May 20th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Egg toss has always been my favorite pastime :)

ZarathustraDK
May 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Meh none of the egss hit.

5$ that if one had connected with his head he'd have blown up and gone melee on him.

I don't mind the egg-throwing, it's a pretty harmless way for the poor to show their discontent to the rich without being seriously at odds with the law. A little guerilla warfare from someone who has been wronged (40 million dollars is a lot in Bulgaria) is not out of the way.

I mean, what would you have done? Written him an angry letter?

uraldinho
May 20th, 2008, 02:28 AM
A little guerilla warfare from someone who has been wronged (40 million dollars is a lot in Bulgaria) is not out of the way.

Is it not Hungary?

kk0sse54
May 20th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I know it's wrong but I can't stop from laughing...

steveneddy
May 20th, 2008, 03:17 AM
That was so funny. I watched it before logging on to UF and it was the first post on the list.

Priceless.

Now if we can get him egged at every place that he stops to speak.....

vexorian
May 20th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I think the opposite of what was expressed in some posts, egg throwing is a form of speech and therefore I wouldn't oppose to it no matter who the target is, unless maybe it could cause health problems to the target, this is not the case though.

DeadSuperHero
May 20th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Actually, I quite liked his response It seemed pretty professional, and adds about 50 IQ points on him.
Good to know SOMEONE at Microsoft has a good sense of humor.

hanzomon4
May 20th, 2008, 05:15 AM
What the hell? He should have brought more eggs and stayed until he was dragged out. This was just kinda pathetic... but yeah, what happen to people having the blank(can I say bal**?) to get angry and lashout with some good'ol civil disobedience. It's great to fight back intelligently but sometimes you gotta break sh... things

On that topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiHT3FBFSIo

3rdalbum
May 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Illegal and very wrong. There are better ways of protesting against Microsoft - get out the Hazmat suit, for instance. What's up with that "streaming" web video anyway - it's too high a bitrate to stream unless you live in freaking South Korea!

swoll1980
May 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM
To bad they were eggs, and not hand grenades.

loell
May 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM
To bad they were eggs, and not hand grenades.

he could have, but maybe he figured out if he hit Mr Balmer's head with a grenade it might bounce back at him , so he just opted for eggs.

ShodanjoDM
May 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
he could have, but maybe he figured out if he hit Mr Balmer's head with a grenade it might bounce back at him , so he just opted for eggs.

Egg-xactly

:guitar:

ZarathustraDK
May 20th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Wait a minute, scratch the eggs.

This guy one-upped simple egg-throwing http://youtube.com/watch?v=H02h0nGBryU THAT'S what I want to see.

Just imagine that little ******* flying around just out of reach mocking Ballmer and his ilk :D

sebbouckaert
May 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Throwing eggs never has killed anyone...but greed for profit has unfortunately, (all may those victims suffer indirectly)

Good action, too bad he missed. See you in Brussels mr. Ballmer :-)

ShodanjoDM
May 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Good action, too bad he missed. See you in Brussels mr. Ballmer :-)

In Hungary: Eggs
In Belgium: Brussels Cabbage

When he gets back to US he'll make salad, and put the EULA for the recipe.

Lster
May 20th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Of course I don't condone that behavior but I think the calm way in which Ballmer handles it really benefits him. I'm glad Ballmer took it so well; he seems far more likable in that situation.

Dixon Bainbridge
May 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I think its a perfectly legitimate form of protest. It's a pity Ballmer isnt as professional in the business world where he operates a cartel as he was when palming off the egg incident. Maybe we can see more of the marvellous Ballmer sense of humour next time he's putting the squeeze on a competitor or pressurising a developing world country into adopting Windows.

Priceless.

Ebuntor
May 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Why exactly would that have been funny? Not only would it have been completely unnecessary in this case it's also extremely painful, people regularly die because of heart failure after getting tazered.

Lster
May 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Why exactly would that have been funny? Not only would it have been completely unnecessary in this case it's also extremely painful, people regularly die because of heart failure after getting tazered.

Quoted for agreement!

Vajk
May 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
welcome to Hungary Mr. Ballmer :)

TBOL3
May 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
That was completely rude, inappropriate, and unnecessary. And I do have to admit the Steve did handle it well.

Technoviking
May 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM

"Don't egg me bro"

Sweet Spot
May 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, (I know, it's not that big a deal but...) that the guy in the red shirt next to the egger was using a white Macbook. Just thought it a bit giggly.

BlueSkyNIS
May 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Here is another youtube link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=S30WdoEHCH4) which also explains the situation a little bit more...

Enjoy :popcorn:

BigSilly
May 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Disappointing really. It would have been far more effective if he'd have engaged him in a heated argument about what his company is doing, and perhaps expose him that way. Lobbing an egg at him was a bit cowardly imho. I suppose there's something funny about it, and it made me laugh when I read the headline. But watching it was excruciatingly embarrassing truth be told.

forrestcupp
May 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I think the opposite of what was expressed in some posts, egg throwing is a form of speech and therefore I wouldn't oppose to it no matter who the target is, unless maybe it could cause health problems to the target, this is not the case though.That's a pretty loose definition of the word "speech"

Actually, I quite liked his response It seemed pretty professional, and adds about 50 IQ points on him.
Good to know SOMEONE at Microsoft has a good sense of humor.Lol. All of life is like a role playing game where our actions either deplete or earn IQ points. I like it! :lolflag:

I think it's pretty childish and immature. If some Windows lover, Linux hater did the same to Shuttleworth, everyone would be going crazy, bragging about how ignorant and childish the Microsoft community is. If it were Shuttleworth, everyone would be making him into a martyr.

vexorian
May 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I think it's pretty childish and immature. If some Windows lover, Linux hater did the same to Shuttleworth, everyone would be going crazy, bragging about how ignorant and childish the Microsoft community is. If it were Shuttleworth, everyone would be making him into a martyrThat's because Mark is not an utter nutjob that wants to take over the world and speaks non-sense against Linux and open source every once in a while.

DrMega
May 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I think its a perfectly legitimate form of protest. It's a pity Ballmer isnt as professional in the business world where he operates a cartel as he was when palming off the egg incident. Maybe we can see more of the marvellous Ballmer sense of humour next time he's putting the squeeze on a competitor or pressurising a developing world country into adopting Windows.

Priceless.

What exactly was the protestor protesting about? That a company has become successful and made loads of money? That a corporation is using any tactics it can get away with to stay successful in business?

I don't like MS any more than most, but we can't go round attacking everything and everyone just because we personally don't like them. If we did we'd be attacking all manner of legitimate organisations.

BlueSkyNIS
May 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
The story:
In March the Hungarian government made a contract with Microsoft, about licensing their software for university students and public servants (cca. 500000 ppl). The contract will last till March 2009, so only one year, and it costs (25000 Million FT = 147M $) from the taxpayers money. (just calculate: 147M/500k = 300$/man for a 1 year microsoft license, LOL :D)
The competitors of Microsoft hadn't had a chance, so they went to court.
Today, Ballmer came, and the court put the trial off, which is clearly illegal according to hungarian law.
And to make it more irritating, Ballmer today made another 10000 Million Ft contract with the government, for theaching Microsoft software :D
Well I bet, a bunch of this money landed in the ins and outs packet.

...from youtube.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
...from youtube.

YouTube had a coherently written comment? That's the real news here :O

LaRoza
May 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM

If that were entirely true, every police officer and federal agent would be dead as they often experience tasers in their training.

Ptero-4
March 28th, 2009, 02:57 AM
YouTube had a coherently written comment? That's the real news here :O
It wasn't a comment. It a portion of the video's description.