PDA

View Full Version : My Ubuntu CD Came Today! And....

Thirtysixway
May 19th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Well FINALLY my Ubuntu cd came in the mail today, and good news, I don't get to use it :KS

Some of you may be thinking "now why would that be so great, waiting since the 24th and not being able to use it". Here's my answer: I found someone to give it to.

My friend and I have talked about Ubuntu and Linux versus windows, and he seemed interested. I told him that when I get my Ubuntu CD in the mail I would give it to him. Well today he came up to me asking about viruses/trojans. Apparently he was trying to get some video editing software, and ended up getting enough trojans and spyware to fill a book. He was more concerned that it was the family computer for various things, including banking.

I told him to try Ubuntu! I will give him the CD, and hopefully be able to answer any questions he has about it. I will definitely direct him to the forums, and hope to see him get XP off of his computer, or at least dual boot. Wish me luck :popcorn:

yamfox
May 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I got mine in the mail today too! I live in Iowa.

Thirtysixway
May 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Cool, I'm from Michigan.

..I also got my openSolaris CD. strange :p

calraith
May 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Good luck Thirtysixway! I was thinking, if your friend is interested in video editing software, UbuntuStudio would've been nice. Oh well. Ubuntu will still be good for him, and I think he'll be impressed with how efficiently his computer runs with it.

calraith
May 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Oh, while I'm thinking about it, this thread seems like a good place to share this blog posting (http://hartmansblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/ubuntu-day-and-understanding-operating.html) I came across the other day. The author compares shopping for an operating system to buying a car, and it's a really insightful metaphor.

AndyCooll
May 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Glad you've got your disc. Mine came last week, but then since I live in the UK it's not got as far to travel to reach me as it has to reach you!

:cool:

EnergySamus
May 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I Got mine today too... Strange:shock::shock:

EnergySamus

isaacj87
May 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Yup, I also got mine today...I like the new artwork. It looks pretty good :)

klange
May 19th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Just put a new sticker on the bottom of my laptop. I now carry my Hardy disk in my laptop case at all times. The new sleeve design is, imho, better than the previous ones - nice and simple.

Joeb454
May 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I got mine last weekend (in the UK)

Watchtow3r
May 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM
lol I got mine today too