PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Confused about CD installation

Baasha
May 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I was having problems with the automatic upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy using the upgrade manager, so I downloaded the ISO CD. My problem now, is that I don`t see an option for upgading in the installation process. I got to step 4 and it looked like it was going to re-partion my drive so I aborted the install.

All I want to do is a simple upgrade without losing my home partition.

How should I proceed

overdrank
May 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I was having problems with the automatic upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy using the upgrade manager, so I downloaded the ISO CD. My problem now, is that I don`t see an option for upgading in the installation process. I got to step 4 and it looked like it was going to re-partion my drive so I aborted the install.

All I want to do is a simple upgrade without losing my home partition.

How should I proceed

Hi and I believe you will need the alternate cd for upgrading
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades#head-7311a7de9fdf1ca310c6937460c0a9d33f54279d

Baasha
May 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I'm still confused. The link posted for the alternate cd says it is to be used if you don't have a connection to the internet. I do have a connection. What's the difference between the 2 cds? Could I use the gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade" command from the regular cd?

zvacet
May 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM
You can upgrade only with altenate CD.It has option for offline upgrade which you donīt need.

What's the difference between the 2 cds?

Read this. (http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/)

overdrank
May 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I'm still confused. The link posted for the alternate cd says it is to be used if you don't have a connection to the internet. I do have a connection. What's the difference between the 2 cds? Could I use the gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade" command from the regular cd?

Hi and what are the issues that you are having with updating from Gutsy to Hardy? Could you post the errors.