PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu 8.04 over Gusty and NOT XP!

diarmuid_mcdaid
May 19th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I've recently recieved my Ubuntu 8.04 install disc and im dying to give it a try (as ive heard it has no problems with Acer 5315). My Problem is that I currently Have a duel boot with xp and Gusty, i want to replace the gusty with 8.04 (Hardy Heron) and keep my Xp as i have important programs on there. Could someone please advise me on how to do this if its possible. Thanks, loads! :)

ichigo
May 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Boot to ubuntu and insert your CD into your drive. As far as I remember u will then be asked if you want to upgrade... And then, well, the rest should be obvious...:popcorn:

EDIT: However, if you wan a clean install instead of an update, you could install ubuntu from CD (as u would if ther was no Linux on the disk) and choose to overwrite your Linux partition. Be careful to choose the right one, because choosing the wrong one would probably mess up your whole system.

barnex
May 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
You might also want to make sure that "Release Upgrades" are set to "Normal releases" or "LTS releases", under the "Updates section" of the Software Sources program (System/Administration/Software Sources). If you are not prompted to update upon insertion of the CD, you can start Update Manager manually.

Cap'n Skyler
May 19th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Boot to ubuntu and insert your CD into your drive. As far as I remember u will then be asked if you want to upgrade... And then, well, the rest should be obvious...:popcorn:

EDIT: However, if you wan a clean install instead of an update, you could install ubuntu from CD (as u would if ther was no Linux on the disk) and choose to overwrite your Linux partition. Be careful to choose the right one, because choosing the wrong one would probably mess up your whole system.
x2

zvacet
May 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Here. (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/installing#partitioning)Select manual way to partition.