PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help finding programs to install

deleyd
May 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I want to try out some accounting software.

Using Add/Remove, or maybe it was Synaptic Package Manager, I installed Grisbi, but when I run it, I get on startup the message "/home/david/ doesn't seem to be a regular file, please check it and try again."

I installed KMyMoney, and started that, and selected "Learn how to use KMyMoney", and it said, "Could not launch the KDE Help Center: Could not find service 'khelpcenter'."

I want to try gnofin, and Moneydance, but neither one is listed under Add/Remove or Synaptic Package Manager. Tried a search in both for gnofin and Moneydance, but nothing found.

What's the difference between Add/Remove and Synaptic Package Manager? Which one should I use?

I have downloaded and extracted the gnofin-0.8.4.tar.gz and Moneydance_linux_x86wj.tar.gz files. But I'm told I'm supposed to use Add/Remove or SPM to install programs.

So how do I get these programs to show up in Add/Remove or SPM so I can install them?

Cheezy744
May 19th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Well for KmyMoney you'll have to install the KDE help center package.

Add/Remove is a more simple, less powerful program downloader.

Synaptic is more for the power users, with libraries and all the things I don't understand.

I'm probably wrong about the above but oh well.

You'll probably have more things availiable in Synaptic.

ZabiGG
May 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hi there ;)

My advice: start with the basics. There are two helpful links in my signature below.

You'll find a place where you can find out all about available software, and another one to help you install anything in Ubuntu.

Welcome to the community and good luck!

:)

Z.

Maestro23
May 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
If you are downloading .tar(s) from outside of the Ubuntu repositories, you are attempting to install software from source. Not recommended for someone new to Linux. But if you must, please read the following document on compiling from source.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware?highlight=(compiling)

What is Synaptic: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto