PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ultra-Newb Problem

Corwin Amber
May 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ok, I have my dunce cap on:-) I installed Ubuntu 8.04 successfully. I wrote down my password. I thought it said that my User Name was just my name. I've tried every combination of my name using caps/non caps I can think of plus <xxxx-laptop> that I see at the bottom of the login screen. I tried the shell-PW changing procedure I found on this site in case I had written it down wrong. I still get "Incorrect username or password" error message when logging on.
Is there any way I can find out my user name without re-installing?

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Gosh haven't thought of Zelazny in years.
You should see your user name in the lower right hand corner of the login screen.
You can also run
cat /etc/passwdFrom the recovery prompt and look at the end of the list for: Someuser:x 1000:1000.... this uid:1000 is the primary user account.

Corwin Amber
May 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Gosh haven't thought of Zelazny in years.
You should see your user name in the lower right hand corner of the login screen.

I thought that might be the case. I tried it as my username (plus all cap/noncap variations) No dice.

You can also run
cat /etc/passwdFrom the recovery prompt and look at the end of the list for: Someuser:x 1000:1000.... this uid:1000 is the primary user account.
Tried that. I got the recovery prompt and tried entering the code. The </> wouldn't appear when I typed them:-(

billgoldberg
May 19th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Just install it again, it will take 20 min and the problem is fixed.

utUtu
May 19th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Ok, I have my dunce cap on:-) I installed Ubuntu 8.04 successfully. I wrote down my password. I thought it said that my User Name was just my name. I've tried every combination of my name using caps/non caps I can think of plus <xxxx-laptop> that I see at the bottom of the login screen. I tried the shell-PW changing procedure I found on this site in case I had written it down wrong. I still get "Incorrect username or password" error message when logging on.
Is there any way I can find out my user name without re-installing?

If you have live CD, boot with it and then hopefully it will mount your hard drive. Once mounted, browse your /etc for 'passwd' file. list this file by cat /where-it's-mounted/etc/passwd

utUtu
May 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Oh by the way, if your name was William Goldsberg, ubuntu suggests your user name as 'william' - always lower case, if you accepted it as is.

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
The live cd wont mount your root partition by default. You will have to manually mount it. Open the terminal and run
sudo fdisk -lsudo is necessary. You will see the root '/' partition perhaps /dev/sda1 .
You would the run
sudo mkdir /media/sda
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /media/sdaThis will put the volume on your desktop. Double click the volume and browse to /etc/passwd (don't be confused by /etc/passwd- which you wont be able to open) and look at the end of the list for User:x 1000:1000 where 'User' is actually a user name. Once you know the username, close the terminal and reopen it.
sudo umount /media/sdaShut down and remove the cd. Boot into recovery mode.

passwd -d Useragain 'User' is replaced with the actual username.
This deletes the user's password. Then give the user a new password.

passwd UserReboot and login.

saratchandra
May 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Did you try with your first name as the username?