PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Podcasts

tom56
May 19th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Hi all

I am looking for a podcast program that can import existing podcast files (the actual MP3s, not the feed). I don't want to redownload 30 episodes when I have them already. Plus, on of my favourite podcasts just started charging to listen to old episodes so I don't want to lose the ones I downloaded when they were free.

Thanks
Tom

Baelus
May 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Personally I use Icepodder. You can get it here:

http://www.icepodder.com/?page_id=4

Point it to your downloads directory, give it a list of the podcast feeds and away you go. Any files it sees in the downloads folder that matches those in the feed will be skipped and marked as already downloaded.

It will make a new directory based on each feed name, if one doesn't exist already, and it will work in those folders.

From what I've seen, unless I explicitly delete shows either through icepodder or from command line, nautilus, etc. icepodder won't touch them.

The only glitch I've seen is where it re-downloads random past episodes I've already deleted. I think this is probably more to do with changes to the actual rss feed from the server side though.

Hope that helps.

- B

MAD_JIHAD
May 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks i was also looking for a podcast reciveing client ill give this a try, ive tried gpodder but it was to buggy.

tom56
May 20th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Right now I'm using gpodder and manually telling it not download the episodes I already have (it only wants to download the most recent in the feed anyway) which seems to be working pretty well. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't tag the files very well, so I fix them myself in Amarok. I'm only subscribed to 3 weekly feeds to it's not that much of a hassle. This system is working well enough for me that I'll leave it for now.

When I get some free time I'll try Icepodder, it looks pretty good. I've still found nothing to match Ziepod in Windows though.

Baelus
May 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM
If it works for you then don't mess with it.

I had to learn that the hard way.

Many times...

- B