PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04LTS Upgrade failed due to no more Gigs - how do I carry on now?

SusieSA
May 19th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hi

On my recommendation, after successfully upgrading my own Ubuntu, I suggested to my Mother that she should also upgrade. She's on a buy-as-you-go internet package where she buys downloadable gigs as she needs them. During the upgrade, when there was about an hour left to go, she ran out of gigs. She purchased more, but the upgrade did not automatically carry on. So she cancelled it but now doesn't know how to recommence it.

Right now, she's unable to do anything on her PC

Any advice out there? Should she uninstall and reinstall? How does she do this? Can she carry on from where she left off?

Thanks!

DieB
May 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM
well login in to console (if the standard login appears press ctrl+alt+F1) and try:

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

if that is not workin due to broken dependencies it normally gives u an error with further advise - if not try (still in console):

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a

After that try aggain the command above (this always worked for me if a complex update/upgrade broke on my machine.

hope that helps

prshah
May 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Hi

On my recommendation, after successfully upgrading my own Ubuntu, I suggested to my Mother that she should also upgrade.
Any advice out there? Should she uninstall and reinstall? How does she do this? Can she carry on from where she left off?

Hi please see my (solved) thread to complete an interrupted hardy upgrade. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=780531&highlight=hardy+wonderful

Hope it helps.

jtrindle
May 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
You might also need:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

prshah
May 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a

sudo will normally be broken in an interrupted upgrade. See issue with sudo "Cannot resolve hostname..."

SusieSA
May 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks everybody. I did the "sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" command and it worked perfectly - carried on from where it left off.