PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Choosing an Ubuntu version

nabab
May 19th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hi,

I'm a real newbie with Linux, I plan to install it for the very first time on my laptop and use it as my only OS. Get out of my life Microsoft!!

It seems everyone says Ubuntu is the best distribution, so I follow the crowd, but I'd like an advice about the version to install.

What I need is an OS with a visual interface, Wine (for using Photoshop and Dreamweaver), and an Apache/PHP/MySQL server installed.

So, should I download the desktop or server version? (or something else...)

Many thanks,

Thomas

nowin4me
May 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I'm a real newbie with Linux, I plan to install it for the very first time on my laptop and use it as my only OS. Get out of my life Microsoft!!

I feel the same way "waves good bye to Microsoft" I have only had Ubuntu for a few days but I am getting used to it.

A hard thing to remember is Ubuntu is NOT Microsoft Windows example you download a program and you don't double click on it you have to goto Applications>Add/Remove Programs>Search for what that program is called>Tick the box THEN PRESS APPLY.

I should use Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop edition [8.04 Has a couple of bugs right now BUT it is usable]

This site comes in handy very handy. Speak to you soon.

And welcome to this forum.

EDIT:

By any chance DO YOU HAVE VISTA?

kellemes
May 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,

It seems everyone says Ubuntu is the best distribution, so I follow the crowd, but I'd like an advice about the version to install.

What I need is an OS with a visual interface, Wine (for using Photoshop and Dreamweaver), and an Apache/PHP/MySQL server installed.

So, should I download the desktop or server version? (or something else...)

Many thanks,

Thomas

The Desktop version is the one to get..
It's provides a comfortable graphical environment to work from..
Good luck and do ask for support in case of need.

Joeb454
May 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM
If you want a graphical interface, you will want the Desktop Edition :) The server is command line only. You can always install Apache/MySql/PHP on it as well, this isn't an issue, I'm sure there's many guides on how to do this on the forums :)

Oh, and welcome to Ubuntu ;)

Rinzwind
May 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
nabab There is no-one here forcing you to use either gnome or kde. I advice you to install BOTH and have a look at both. Yes, you can install both inside the same Linux (when logging in you tell the login manager to either start gnome or kde). And you can even install gnome under CTRL ALT F7 and have KDE under CTRL ALT F6.

It is easiest to install wine and lampp (apache etc.) from inside gnome/kde. So stick to the desktop version. I would not advice someone new to Linux to use the server version anyways ;)

My approach when 1st installing Ubuntu: I reinstalled 4 or 5 times after toying (installing anything, deleting stuff, check gnome and kde together and separate etc) before I finally settled on Gnome.

stefangr1
May 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM
You don't have to install kde and gnome to try it out a little. Just download both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu live cd's and decide what you like most. You can run them from the cd, without affecting the system you have currently installed, if you like what you see you just press install to put in on your harddisk.

It is my opinion that the difference between Gnome and KDE isn't that large, I like both. Note that performance/speed from the live cd is no indication for normal performance.

Just in case: if you have a PIII or older processor or less then 384mb internal memory, you could be better of using Xubuntu.

nabab
May 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks a lot for all your answers!

So I gonna try the desktop version, and manage to install AMP & Wine myself...

I'm sure I'll be back soon for more questions ;)

Cheers!

nowin4me
May 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks a lot for all your answers!

So I gonna try the desktop version, and manage to install AMP & Wine myself...

I'm sure I'll be back soon for more questions ;)

Cheers!

No problems.
Glad to help.

nabab
May 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
And yes I do have Vista installed at the moment, and that's maybe why I'm moving to Linux...