PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Hardy upgrade advice (re: custom/checkinstall packages)

allanlewis
May 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I'm currently using Kubuntu Gutsy and considering upgrading to Kubuntu-KDE4 Hardy. I occasionally use checkinstall to install programs I have compiled from source, and I remember some advice regarding previous upgrades that such packages should be removed to avoid any problems when upgrading. Is this so? And are there any other packages I should remove before upgrading? Or anything else I should do to make it go smoothly? (...if such a thing is possible :D)

When previous updates have been released, I have re-installed from scratch, usually using the alternate CD because I have had problems with Ubiquity in the past. I have done this from Ubuntu Dapper to Ubuntu Edgy to Ubuntu Feisty to Kubuntu Gutsy, but I like my current configuration and would prefer to upgrade "properly", as it were. I have burned a CD so I assume I can use the "cdromupgrade" script (or whatever it's called) to save downloading everything again - am I correct?

Allan Lewis.

Partyboi2
May 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Yes you can use the alternate cd to upgrade. Disable 3rd party repos.

allanlewis
May 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for that.

I won't mark this as "solved" just yet; I'd like to wait and see if anyone else has any advice.