PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome hangs after upgrade to 8.04

jimrothstein
May 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I seem to have messed up Ubuntu upgrade.

I can boot, get the Ubuntu splash screen, login (hear the music) and then system hangs. Can't see the desktop.

-Had 7.04, upgraded to 7.10 and then Hardy
-upgraded from internet (not CD)
-only thing that works now is selecting Session - Failsafe terminal, i.e command line
-have tried to reinstall gnome (apt-get install gnome, etc.)
-have tried to recovery mode (repair) but nothing works
-made Live CD with .iso, but it won't boot
-fear I'm just making things worse

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

jim

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Try adding a new user and login. Does this still happen? If no then there are some settings kept back in your home folder from gutsy that messes up hardy.

jimrothstein
May 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Thx for quick reply.

A new user does seem to work! (Gnome does not hang.) But I must also use an older linux kernel still in GRUB.

Not sure what to do now.

jim

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
But I must also use an older linux kernel still in GRUB

What do you mean?

jimrothstein
May 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM
In GRUB, I have a few Ubuntu kernels.

With the newest one (2.6.24-16-generic), the new user can login, hear the music and the gnome desktop appears - BUT it is frozen, nothing will work. (Must use Cntl-Alt F2 to shut it down).

With older kernel (2.6.20-16-generic) in GRUB, the new user IS able to use the gnome desktop and it all seems to work.

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Had you manually installed any drivers for your box when on gutsy (=older kernel)?

jimrothstein
May 19th, 2008, 03:33 PM
New drivers? No, I don't think so.

Keith Klos
May 31st, 2008, 04:13 AM
I seem to have messed up Ubuntu upgrade.

I can boot, get the Ubuntu splash screen, login (hear the music) and then system hangs. Can't see the desktop.

-Had 7.04, upgraded to 7.10 and then Hardy
-upgraded from internet (not CD)
-only thing that works now is selecting Session - Failsafe terminal, i.e command line
-have tried to reinstall gnome (apt-get install gnome, etc.)
-have tried to recovery mode (repair) but nothing works
-made Live CD with .iso, but it won't boot
-fear I'm just making things worse

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

jim

I am new to Ubunto having just installed 8.04 on a new harddrive on a Dell Dimension l500r. Installation was just fine but on reboot have the same problem as above execpt I can get it to boot in Gnome Failsafe. It hangs after I put in the user name and passord. I hear the music and then the screen gets garbled with faint multiple Hardy Herons and then it hangs. I am totally new to Ubuntu and have been searching the forums and tried per below to add a new user but same result. When I DO boot in GNOME failsafe mode everything seems to work OK (although I am still trying to understand the system so everything may not work). Any thoughts? Thanks Keith