PDA

View Full Version : Arraay.Find and Array.FindAll methods in C#

true_friend
May 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hi
I am a c# learner. studied arrays and a bit practiced as well. A little question about above two methods of C# arrays. Array.Find and Array.FindAll. Can someone provide an example so I can understand them. I want to use them to get a word's frequency but do not know how to increment an integer if it finds. And there is no guarantee of no "overcounting" i mean a word searched before and the next call search same once again in Array (if there are more then once occurances would it be fine to use Arrays?). I haven't learnt generics and collections yet but little study told me that they are more useful in this regard (I mean to find a given word's frequency in an object say string array which is made after splitting a string).
Anyhows I'll be very thankful if someone can show me examples to use Array.Find and Array.FindAll.
Regards

sakabato
May 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM
public static void Main () {

int[] numbers = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 };

int[] odds = Array.FindAll<int>(numbers, IsOdd);
}

private static bool IsOdd(int number)
{

return ((number % 2) != 0);

}

true_friend
May 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for your reply. I've found a way to get word freqeuncy by Length property of the resulting array of the FindAll method. There is a problem i couldn't pass string to FindAll method, the compiler give error. Can you tell me where i am wrong? below is the code I've written on the basis of this example.
Regard

using System;
namespace arr
{
class arr
{
public static void Main () {
string tofind = "is";
string sentence = "This is a Book";
string[] word = sentence.Split( );
string[] find = Array.FindAll<string>(word, tofind);
int i = find.Length;
Console.WriteLine(i);
Console.ReadLine();
}
}
}

clasificado
May 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
string tofind = "is";

The ToFind object must be a static function (really a predicate) that do the comparison returning a boolean result.

take a look to the skabato's example

clasificado

dwhitney67
May 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The ToFind object must be a static function (really a predicate) that do the comparison returning a boolean result.

take a look to the skabato's example

clasificado

I'm using Ubuntu and the 'mcs' compiler to compile Csharp apps. When I tried compiling the code below, I got the following error:

$ mcs Odd.cs
Odd.cs(7,35): error CS1002: Expecting `;'
Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings

What's causing this??

class Odd
{
public static void Main ()
{
int[] numbers = { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 };

int[] odds = Array.FindAll<int>( numbers, IsOdd );
}

private static bool IsOdd( int number )
{
return ( (number % 2) != 0 );
}
}

true_friend
May 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM
clasificado: Thanks. I take a loot at it. I am actually a learner. Do not have very deep knowlege yet. Learned Arrays couple of days ago and this method I found last day but didn't know how to implement it. Its arguments are new to me I mean that static boolean method.
dwhitney67: It(Array.FindAll) is new in C# and available in C# 2 (2005). You'll have to use gmcs the mono compiler for C# 2.
Regards

dwhitney67
May 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Using your helpful hint, I got the following to work:

using System;

namespace Find
{
class Find
{
public static string searchString;

private static bool FindWord( string word )
{
return word == Find.searchString;
}

public static void Main ()
{
string sentence = "This is a Book";

string[] word = sentence.Split();

Find.searchString = "is";

string[] find = Array.FindAll<string>( word, FindWord );

int i = find.Length;

Console.WriteLine("Number of instances of the word '" + Find.searchString + "' is: " + i);
}
}
}

sakabato
May 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Don't use mcs, use gmcs. It's C# 3.0 compiler!