PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Strange upgrade problems Ubuntu 8.04

FruitCase
May 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hi list,

after a seemingly flawless upgrade i'm stuck with some strange problems. I'm a perpetual newbie so i don't know if my problems with the ubuntu installation are upgrade related, security related or otherwise?

My machine starts automatically in the middle of the night, every night, when i've switched it off. Where can i start to address this problem? When i switch it off i want it to remain switched off until i start it up. Where can i find a way to force it to remain switched off?

When i log in and log out the screen goes black, blank and i can't log in, apart from another box with ssh (or via nx). I can see the Xorg (xserver?) is running at nearly all CPU capacity. Only thing i can do is hard reset the machine. Reading the forums i can't find a solution that works, does anyone know any leads to what i can do?

Rkhunter finds modified files, like sudo, slocate, logger, mount, more, dmesg, whereis. Combined with the middle nightly startups spooky indeed, but it might just be upgrade related. How can i tell?

I consider dismissing the upgrade and falling back to the ol' and nice 7.10 version of ubuntu. What is wisdom here?

Thanks for helping me,
kind regards

FruitCase
May 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Apart from the "black screen" after logout the other issues are mostly resolved. See the security discussions elsewhere on this forum.

So i'll jus set this to solved
Greetings all