PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Grub repair with installation disk

Kevbert
May 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Having used several flavours of Linux it seems that the Ubuntu derived versions are the best at finding other operating systems. I know (and have used) Supergrub to repair the boot loader, but seeing how good Ubuntu installation disks are, would it be possible to have an extra item in the installation menu to repair (i.e. rebuild) the Grub menu ?
I've tried Fedora and openSuse (for example) and each time I've installed a new OS the menu.lst and fstab files have to be rebuilt. Also if a partition is removed for any reason with anything in Windows (for example) the grub menu may be no longer usable.
(I wanted to put this post in the Idea Pool, but this doesn't seem to exist)

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM
That would be one fine utility if its included in the Menu Option for LiveCD's since most preferred doing a dual boot of Ubuntu with windows (and afterwards, messing up with grub). But for sure, Ubuntu's developer had already discovered that tons of information on fixing GRUB is already present on the net so they left it for users to DIY. :lolflag:

housam
May 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM
(I wanted to put this post in the Idea Pool, but this doesn't seem to exist)

here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=306) is the Idea pool