PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server install from Alternate cd

cbhargava
May 19th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hello,

Is it possible to install a cli (server) system using the alternate CD (8.04)?

Thanks.

sgk
May 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
yes, the only thing is that you do not have live install. you must install it using text based installer

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Try visiting this link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/I386) for some information regarding the installation of Ubuntu Alternate CD's. Same process applies with the installation of Hardy.

prshah
May 19th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Is it possible to install a cli (server) system using the alternate CD (8.04)?

Eh? The ubuntu-server install already installs only a command line interface.

Any particular reason why you want to use the "alternate" CD only?

cbhargava
May 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Reason is to carry only *one* ubuntu CD in my CD wallet for both desktop and server install.

Eh? The ubuntu-server install already installs only a command line interface.

Any particular reason why you want to use the "alternate" CD only?

cbhargava
May 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks. I just want to install the base system, is there a way to avoid the installation Xorg and other desktop packages?

Try visiting this link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/I386) for some information regarding the installation of Ubuntu Alternate CD's. Same process applies with the installation of Hardy.

iaculallad
May 20th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks. I just want to install the base system, is there a way to avoid the installation Xorg and other desktop packages?

If what you're planning to install is a SOHO server (and don't give in too much security), give (X)Ubuntu a try. Since it only has a minimalistic GUI. Or you could just issue the command aptitude install xubuntu-desktop on your terminal since all Ubuntu flavors comes in the same family and carries with them the same package.

cbhargava
July 14th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Hitting F4 (at boot menu) on the alternate CD and choosing command line installation was what I wanted. Thanks for answers though.:KS