PDA

View Full Version : [other] Hardy Heron Cli plus Openbox.

kagashe
May 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Hi,

I have done Hardy Heron Cli install from alternate CD and have added openbox obconf fbpanel firefox and Synaptic so far and I like what I see with:
$ free -m
total used free
Mem: 312 247 64
-/+ buffers/cache 88 223
Swap 996 0 996

I am going to add wallpaper, try some other panel instead of fbpanel, menu and othet software and will need all the help.

Although I have started openbox with startx command I can't find .xinitrc to add fbpanel. I am starting it from openbox terminal.

kagashe

urukrama
May 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Although I have started openbox with startx command I can't find .xinitrc to add fbpanel. I am starting it from openbox terminal.

You can just create that file if you don't have one now. See here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomXSession) for more details.

kerry_s
May 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have done Hardy Heron Cli install from alternate CD and have added openbox obconf fbpanel firefox and Synaptic so far and I like what I see with:
$ free -m
total used free
Mem: 312 247 64
-/+ buffers/cache 88 223
Swap 996 0 996

right, jwm rocks, panel included, does backgrounds, all with out adding extra programs.

kagashe
May 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
You can just create that file if you don't have one now. See here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CustomXSession) for more details.Thanks. This is how the file looks like at present:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

lxpanel &
exec openbox

Now I get lxpanel on openbox.

I have added pcmanfm and using Tango icon themes. I have also added a wallpaper in pcmanfm Preferences.

kagashe

kagashe
May 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
right, jwm rocks, panel included, does backgrounds, all with out adding extra programs.
I know jwm rocks but I don't like menu configuration method through complicated file.

I find that the menu on lxpanel auto updates as I add applications.

kagashe

kerry_s
May 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I know jwm rocks but I don't like menu configuration method through complicated file.

I find that the menu on lxpanel auto updates as I add applications.

kagashe

you probably didn't install "menu" (uses update-menus)jwm can use the same thing like fluxbox and openbox. that's okay though openbox rocks just as hard, i used openbox for a long while way back when. it's good to try different things. :)

kagashe
May 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Another reason going for openbox and pcmanfm was my fascination for the new LXDE. I was having some difficulty installing it on Cli but finally resolved them. Here is my post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4993178&postcount=101) regarding that on LXDE thread.

kagashe

kagashe
June 8th, 2008, 07:27 AM
you probably didn't install "menu" (uses update-menus)jwm can use the same thing like fluxbox and openbox. that's okay though openbox rocks just as hard, i used openbox for a long while way back when. it's good to try different things. :)I installed jwm. The latest version is available in Hardy repositories. I used update-menus and it works. Thanks.

kagashe