PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just installed ubuntu 8.04 LTS and receiving I/O errors during startup

KB918
May 19th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Just as the title says, I installed Ubuntu under windows xp and restarted without the disk in the drive. Once prompted to select an OS, I selected Ubuntu and the splash screen showed in a few seconds later with the progress bar. After about a minute or two, the screen changed and showed command lines saying there are errors in regards to I/O errors and would lists more and more for about 10 minutes then go to a black screen and sit until I hit restart. I am new to Linux and this is my first try at this. I got Ubuntu Live to work but a permanent install isn't not working at all and I am not sure how to fix this issue.

"KB"

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
What types of I/O errors was in your screen display? Post a more complete detail with regards to the I/O problem so we could trace what problems are occurring.

KB918
May 20th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I boot up my machine as normal and when it prompts me to choose an OS, I select Ubuntu and the splash screen comes up as normal with the progress bar. After about a minute or two, that goes away and then shows a command screen that I myself cannot enter anything on but it shows

[ 188.214662] Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
[ 200.351004] Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
[ 200.883308] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 156284912

It continues on and on in the same fashion getting up in the 450.00000 or so for a few minutes then just goes to a black screen with a letter curser blinking as it does in command but I can not do anything but turn the power off. I assume that this has something to do with my HDD..??

"KB"

VMC
May 20th, 2008, 03:02 AM
You can try floppy=off for the kernel, but that's no cure. Is this Toshiba laptop, or IMP Thinkpad by chance?

Did the cd/dvd install go without a hitch? No errors.

KB918
May 20th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Yea, I ended up realizing that the floppy needed to be disabled. No, haha. Its a custom built computer. I end up with this now that they floppy is disabled. No more error messages though. :)

BusyBox x1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

"KB"

epidemiks
May 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I get "Buffer I/O on device sdb, logical block 0", & not getting any love in my thread :(

iaculallad
May 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I get "Buffer I/O on device sdb, logical block 0", & not getting any love in my thread :(

Just hoping you could resolve your problem by relating with this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=276930).

epidemiks
May 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Just hoping you could resolve your problem by relating with this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=276930).

there are some new things to try there [-o<, thanks!