PDA

View Full Version : Will crossover and crysis work together?

Lord Xeb
May 19th, 2008, 05:50 AM
@_@ I am building a pc and I don't know if I need to use vista to play crysis. I know COD4 works fine, but Crysis is a more demanding and punishing game than people think (it is like the new FEAR).

DieB
May 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
well as for crossover: they do not have that app in their lists.
see:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5880

BUT wine does although it only seemes to work poorly:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5880

but probably after the 1.0-release (but I guess no)

Tatty
May 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
If you want to guarantee that your windows games will work, I fully recommend you install vista.

Wine is great, but even 1.0 is not going to run all the latest and greatest without problems.

Besides as far as im aware there is no Dx10 support in Wine.

Lord Xeb
May 20th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah... vista home is cheap now so I might as well. Also, how well do you think a 9600GT will preform with crysis?

zmjjmz
May 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM
You can run Crysis in XP.

bufsabre666
May 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM
the only thing that crysis is good for is a benchmarking program, the game quite frankly sucks

Lord Xeb
May 21st, 2008, 02:56 AM
Have you played it?

geekygirl
May 21st, 2008, 03:12 AM
I agree, I found Crysis to be "Just Another FPS..." It was more fun getting the thing running at a decent and playable frame rate that the game itself...now Bioshock was a far better game and a lot more original in its concept (oh I still finished Crysis...but it was a struggle lol)

Lostincyberspace
May 21st, 2008, 03:20 AM
How about portal? Has any one tried to play it.

bufsabre666
May 21st, 2008, 03:27 AM

now thats a game id like to be able to play

Lostincyberspace
May 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM
I know it is the second game I want to get after installing windows for spore.

Frak
May 21st, 2008, 03:47 AM
The graphics aren't as good as Crysis, but Portal I actually enjoy playing. It's a crazy fun game.

forrestcupp
May 21st, 2008, 04:02 AM
I agree, I found Crysis to be "Just Another FPS..." It was more fun getting the thing running at a decent and playable frame rate that the game itself...now Bioshock was a far better game and a lot more original in its concept (oh I still finished Crysis...but it was a struggle lol)

I know you came out with your Linux gaming blog. Did you ever get Crysis working in Linux, or did you have to resort to playing it in Windows?

Frak
May 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM
I know you came out with your Linux gaming blog. Did you ever get Crysis working in Linux, or did you have to resort to playing it in Windows?
I'm not geekygirl, but I have seen one of my coworkers with Crysis running in the latest Wine.

Pros - It plays
Cons - BAD GRAPHICS
Too bright at times
Very pixelated at times
Missing Textures at times.

Venality
May 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM
Yeah... vista home is cheap now so I might as well. Also, how well do you think a 9600GT will preform with crysis?

It will perform fine, but the 8800 is better then that card

geekygirl
May 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
No I didnt get Crysis running under wine..its quite bad actually and doesnt like wine at all, the gaming rig I used (E6600 OCed to 3.2GHz, 8800GTS 320M, 4G RAM) struggled to run it natively with Vista and it was fun getting it running smooth and playable with some half decent effects (had to turn things like the shaders down to medium) just to get a decent frame rate of around 20-30fps. Havent played with it since - its still sat in the tin lol

Maybe in a couple of years it might happen, but as we cannot yet run Halo CE properly under wine and thats an older game, it might be sometime before these so called "Vista Only" games are playable on anything else :(

DieB
May 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Well that is when it becomes to be politics.

Tundro Walker
May 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
the only thing that crysis is good for is a benchmarking program, the game quite frankly sucks

I second that notion. The sci-fi story crapped all over an otherwise decent spec-op shooter.

You can run Crysis on XP, but you can only use DX10 with it on Vista. However, there's not that much difference between DX9 & 10.

Crysis' unwarranted "coolness factor" was really due to how hardware-intensive the game can be. Looks really nice when it's all set to high quality, but that doesn't make the game any better. The demo's for the game make it seem like you're superman throwing trucks around, etc. Actual game-play is far from that.

Reminds me of Bio-Shock, too, when they were all psyched about how you lure enemies to pools of water to electrocute them. However, actual game play has you just mowing through the enemies with gun fire. Who wants to waste their time luring enemies around when you can dispatch them easier with a gun?

FPS games these days are in a catch-22, because trying to add more tactical thought, but they're getting more and more dumbed down to keep the player alive lest the poor 12 year olds playing the game get a bruised ego at how easily they get killed for being a moron charging in with guns blazing. So, they create these scenes where you could think your way through, but they still make it where you can easily gun your way through. Guess which option will get exploited first?