PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LiveCD?

ShawnStovall
May 19th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I'm a little confused here... About a year ago I installed Ubuntu with the help of the LiveCD that came with the download. I had to uninstall it because it was taking up too much space on my hard drive, but now I want to install it again. My problem is that when I went to go use the LiveCD to resize my current partition and make a new partition for Ubuntu all I got was a command prompt. What do I do to get to the LiveCD I seem to remember, if it is even there like I remember?

Thanks for your time. :guitar:

Mr A Mouse
May 19th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Were you booting to the CD, or did you put it in with Windows running and try to run it?

ShawnStovall
May 19th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I was booting to the CD, thanks for the quick response BTW.

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Did you try other "newly downloaded and burned" Ubuntu LiveCD installers?

Mr A Mouse
May 19th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Okay, here are a couple of things to try:

1: Consider downloading the CD again. It sounds like you're using the same CD you downloaded a year ago--Ubunty has had a major release in the last year. (If you're not using the same CD, I apologize for the confusion on my part.)
2: Check the CD for physical damage--scratches or the like.
3: See if the command prompt will respond to the word "boot" (no quote marks, of course).

Beyond that, the only thing I can think of is to put the CD in, turn the computer completely off (a full shutdown), then bring the power back up. As the power comes up, try going into your BIOS menu and making sure you can boot from the CD.

Good luck! :)

ShawnStovall
May 19th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Thanks guys, I did download a new CD when I decided to download it again and if this helps the name of the command prompt seems to be "BusyBox". I'm going to try downloading it again just in case.

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 03:47 AM
After your successful Ubuntu ISO download, check its MD5 hash for errors and burn it at a lower speed (4x) just to be sure.

ShawnStovall
May 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Downloaded it from 3 different sources and they all gave that same command prompt, but I downloaded one from a little farther away from where I live, Michigan, and the LiveCD is working fine. Thanks everyone!:popcorn: