PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you reinstall Ubuntu?

Bigtime_Scrub
May 19th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Ive made a lot of knuckleheaded changes and I dont have anything I really need to save on my hard drive. A lot of applets and programs are no longer working. I figure the best way to undo everything I did when I screwed things up is to reinstall. How do you do this?

damis648
May 19th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Get the ISO, burn it to a disk, pop it in, set the CD drive as your first boot device and boot the disc. Select your language and select "Install Ubuntu" Just wait for it to load and then follow the wizard ;)

VMC
May 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Without knowing what's on drive drive I would venture to say, do it the same way you did the first time. You can fdisk and see what partition ubuntu is currently on and then when asked reuse that partition.

As a side note. I have cloned my first install as a backup. I can then feel safe to mess around all I want or as you so stated make any "knuckleheaded changes" I want. I did that for the purpose to see how I can reimage my partition to _any_ other partition. All you then need is to change fstab to reflect the new UUID's. And if I really mess things up on boot up, and were talking grub here I can then do a grub-install.

I did this purposely just to see if I could get back to ubuntu with my cloned partition. In all cases I was able to with the added benefit of learning something. So you see, in the end there really is no knuckleheaded changes!