PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Dial Up Help!

rocketman_dc
May 19th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I've almost gotten xubuntu where I need it, but I'm flailing on dialup and modem installation. I have an internal modem that the manufacturer swears runs in Linux, and I think it's my complete lack of understanding of how to work in Linux that is the problem. I don't know how to run basic tar things so I haven't been able to run that scan modem program. First, can someone walk me thru the absolute basic of downloading a program like that and using it.

More specifically, my modem came with a help sheet for Linux. It says:

"various versions of Linux drivers included (on cd)
For the latest version for 2801 modem go to
cdrom:\pci modem card\smlink\2801\linux
copy to your linux system
become root
su -
rpm -ivh hsfmodem-7.60.00.00oem-1.i386.rpm

to uninstall from your system
rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep hsf)

if your kernal is compiled with config...4kstacks then most likely you'll need to recompile without the cpnfig...4kstacks option

for old kernals and modem drivers visit camnix.com/drivers
www.camnix.com"

I think I installed the rpm thing somehow, but when I use su - it asks for a password, and the login password doesn't work. I was able to get to the directory on the cdrom through the file manager, but I didn't know what to do when I got there (and clicking around didn't seem to yield any results.) I was not able to get to the directory in the terminal. I'm totally lost. I'm going to give up if I can't get this modem and dial up to work.

I did find the Network thing and I put in a phone number and password for dial up, and I chose dial up as first choice for internet, but no dialing up ever happened.

thanks very much.

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 02:30 AM
This site can be very helpful:http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/index.html

Provides a link to get the scanmodem tool and instructions for using it. Scroll down to # .8

HotShotDJ
May 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I have an internal modem that the manufacturer swears runs in LinuxWho is the manufacturer. If you are using a Dell (please provide model) then it should be very simple... no tarballs or rpm files.

rocketman_dc
May 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM
The manufacturer is not identified. The site is http://www.camnix.com/