PDA

View Full Version : Buying a laptop

cyrusjunior
May 19th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Hello All,

I am a student currently studying in bioinformatics. My old laptop is not doing so well, so I was thinking of getting a new laptop. I plan to get a laptop that will do dual boot (Ubuntu and Vista). Here is my criteria

Something below $1200 (Canadian)
Portable (less than 5 pounds)
Decent performance (> 2.0 GHz)
Quiet (Not noisy fan)
Reliable battery pack and durable.
Good wireless card (I work at the library quite often and they offer wireless)

Daily task.

Programming in Perl and Java
Internet surfing / email
Youtube some animes
Play some chess on FICS =). Contact me if you like a game of chess ^^.

I have read around some of the post on Ubuntu and I am thinking of getting a ThinkPad T61. I use this computer for work and a bit of entertainment. I don't plan on using the computer for gaming or anything that requires a lot from the graphics card. I am basically using the computer for work, easy to bring to school, and the computer must be durable. I hope to use this computer for a range of 3 to 4 years =).

Here is the spec for the customized ThinkPad T61 that I have been thinking of

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
14.1 WXGA TFT
Intel GMA X3100 GM965
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (1 DIMM)
US English Keyboard
80GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim
PC Card & Express Card Slots
4 cell Li-Ion Battery
65W AC Adapter; NA, LA, (2pin)
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (US/CAN/LA/AP)

Total price $1,140 (Canadian).

My reasoning. I upgrade ~$100 for the CPU to be 6MB cache instead of 3 MB cache. I think this will make the computer last a little longer. I got the integrated graphic card because I don't think I'll be needing a dedicated graphic card if I don't do gaming or anything 3D with this computer. I upgraded the 1 GB ram to 2GB ram (1 DIMM) because in the future I am planning to upgrade 1 more 2 GB ram stick as the max is 4 GB. I didn't upgrade the hard drive because I wouldn't be using this computer for downloading. This is why I stick with the 80 Gig, which I think is more than sufficient. The last upgrade I did is the wireless card, which I want a good one. I'll be using a lot of wireless so I don't want any wireless issues.

If there are any suggestions please tell me =).

Have a great day.
Cyrus

jimrz
May 19th, 2008, 02:32 AM
You just almost can't go wrong with ThinkPads. They are durable,well designed, have excellent build quality and tend to work well with linux.

My T42 (4+ years old) is still my primary laptop and still going strong. I also still have it's predecessor, a 600x (nearly 12 years old) that is currently running 8.04 just fine. With the exception of replacing main batteries that have worn out and once having to replace the CMOS battery on the older one both still have all of their original parts and are running perfectly. When it comes time to replace the current one I doubt that I shall even look at any other brand.

cardinals_fan
May 19th, 2008, 02:37 AM
That looks great. BTW, I like chess too :)

jrharvey
May 19th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I just bought a dell XPS 1530 (2.2 core2duo, 3Gram, 320HD, Nvidia 8600gt 256 dedicated) for $1000 from the dell refurbished site. It is practically brand new and comes with the same factory warranty that the new ones have. I do alot of heavy graphics so i need a fast computer and it does the trick. It works great with ubuntu 8.04!!!! Webcam, Wireless, ethernet, nvidia drivers, fingerprint reader just work. I had to install a program from synaptic to use the fingerprint reader but thats no big deal. I still cant get it to work in windows, haha. If you havnt seen one, they are cool looking computers.... here is mine.

cardinals_fan
May 19th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I just bought a dell XPS 1530 (2.2 core2duo, 3Gram, 320HD, Nvidia 8600gt 256 dedicated) for $1000 from the dell refurbished site. It is practically brand new and comes with the same factory warranty that the new ones have. I do alot of heavy graphics so i need a fast computer and it does the trick. It works great with ubuntu 8.04!!!! Webcam, Wireless, ethernet, nvidia drivers, fingerprint reader just work. I had to install a program from synaptic to use the fingerprint reader but thats no big deal. I still cant get it to work in windows, haha. If you havnt seen one, they are cool looking computers.... here is mine.
I hate Dells and HPs. I've seen two Dells break and the HP keyboards feel cheap.

jrharvey
May 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I hate Dells and HPs. I've seen two Dells break and the HP keyboards feel cheap.

I would have to agree with your statement about MOST dells but the XPS line is a great computer. The desktops and laptops are pretty nice. The only thing I dont like about it is that the outer case is plastic. I guess i am just use to my macbook pro. I like my XPS way better though.

solitaire
May 19th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Check to see if your Uni / College has any deals on with places like Apple or Dell.

Also I've alwy's been a Dell guy myself, Ive had 3 over the years (1 died due to encounter with 1st floor concrete carpark Via 3rd floor stairwell, they bounce well!!, one was work owned and i've still got the 3rd) :)

but each have their own likes and experiences..

cardinals_fan
May 19th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I have no idea what you just said,
It's spam. Report it.

solitaire
May 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Oh ever thought of an ultra portable?

the "MSI Wind" it's a 10 inch laptop like the Eee 900 pc bit with higher specs..cheaper too :D

damis648
May 19th, 2008, 03:06 AM

I have an M1530 too, but he says he wants a portable, I don't know about your M1530, but mine is just over 6 pounds so not ultra-protable...

By the way, did you photoshop that Ubuntu logo onto your M1530??

jrharvey
May 19th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I have an M1530 too, but he says he wants a portable, I don't know about your M1530, but mine is just over 6 pounds so not ultra-protable...

By the way, did you photoshop that Ubuntu logo onto your M1530??

Actually I used sticker paper and photoshoped an image of the ubuntu logo with a brushed metal background and simply stuck the sticker over the dell logo and used an exacto blade to trim around it. I know it sounds gettofabulous but it worked and ACTUALLY looks good. Most everyone who sees it thinks it came like that and want to know where i bought it ;) I also themed my WHOLE ubuntu OS to have a brushed metal theme.

cyrusjunior
May 19th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Thank you everyone for your reply.

damis648
May 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
What is the brushed theme you are using? I am using The T-ish-brushed GTK theme and the t-ish-brushed emerald theme which work well and really work with the design of the notebook, but just curious, which are you using?

EnergySamus
May 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Total price $1,140 (Canadian).

Why even pay that much?! Buy a Dell for under $800, and it will have everything you need (about 5 pounds, Inspiron).

EnergySamus