PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation on a hp dc5700

jmedina
May 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I have used ubuntu in the past and I really like it. My older computer is aging and it barely runs it. My mom's computer which is a hp dc5700 seems to run the ubuntu live CD really well. It has a nice size hard drive too. It is 80 GB. I think that about 60 GB is freed right now. I am considering running ubuntu on it. It is currently running XP pro. If I partition and install it and my mom wants me to get it off there can I do it without reinstalling windows XP?

oilchangeguy
May 19th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I have used ubuntu in the past and I really like it. My older computer is aging and it barely runs it. My mom's computer which is a hp dc5700 seems to run the ubuntu live CD really well. It has a nice size hard drive too. It is 80 GB. I think that about 60 GB is freed right now. I am considering running ubuntu on it. It is currently running XP pro. If I partition and install it and my mom wants me to get it off there can I do it without reinstalling windows XP?

yes you can.

jmedina
May 19th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Is it hard?

iaculallad
May 19th, 2008, 02:16 AM
No, its not that hard. HowToForge (http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_windows_xp_vista_ubuntu_feisty) will give you an idea on dual booting xp and Ubuntu.

jmedina
May 20th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I think I am going to use Wubi. It looks good because I do not have to set up a second partition. Does anybody run Wubi? How do you like it? Also, the PC I am installing it on is 64 bit. Would you recommend a get the 64 or 32 bit version?