PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wine Help..Please

mr-Kirch
May 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Okay i go to places mount my HP drive go into it, go to program files, steam, right click steam.exe and choose open with wine windows emulator..then an error message pops up that says.."Steam.exe (main exception): cannot open blob archive file:CMultifieldblob(mem-mapped file): failed to MapViewOfFile! I'm trying to play counter strike source by the ways..its installed on my vista(i'm dual booting) so answer my question or you can tell me step by step how to play it in wine.

Tomatz
May 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Good howto here:

http://blog.linuxoss.com/2007/02/07/wine-gaming-steam-half-life-half-life-2-counter-strike-source-and-16/

Joeb454
May 18th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure if you can actually play it from a mounted Windows partition, though I'm not 100% sure :)

HotShotDJ
May 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
so answer my question or you can tell me step by step how to play it in wine.I'll assume that this only came across as a demand and that you honestly did not intend it that way. The answer to your question is located here: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1554

I've never used it, but the WineHQ database says it is "gold" and give instruction on how to get it running.

mr-Kirch
May 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
i got it to work i just copied steam.exe went to wine under applications, browse c: drive, program files, iexplorer, pasted it there..it still works even tho its in iexplorer. im installing cs now

madsmeg
May 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM
you need to move your steam folder over to your .Wine folder on your linux partition i am pretty sure it goes in /c_drive/program files

don't quote me on that though.

madsmeg
May 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Actually i think you would be better off just installing it through wine fresh following one of the many Steam tutorials.

Tomatz
May 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure if you can actually play it from a mounted Windows partition, though I'm not 100% sure :)

Yeah he is right.

Duh didnt read the post correctly, i thought you were having installation issues.

Joeb454
May 18th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I'm inclined to agree with madsmeg, and say follow one of (the many) tutorials on installing steam on the forums :)