PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how many of you have unclean installs upgrading to hardy heron with update manager?

thebestofall007
May 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
hi, i was wondering how many of you have had problems with an unclean upgrade using the update manager to upgrade from gutsy to hardy versus a fresh install. i certainly have.

like:
1. getting parsing errors when i click on audio streams loaded onto panels or click certain apps, like a shortcut to innotek virtualbox loaded onto the desktop.
2. less stability (like if, when testing stability, opening a lot of videos; with gutsy i was able to open up to 60, with 1gb of ram on my acer laptop)
3. the "ask me" option doesn't work even when i select it. instead of giving me the menu of what i want the computer to do, it just goes to the login screen when i press the power button.
4. slower and clumsier boot up. the boot up splash screen shows at first, then pauses, then gives a black screen with the text, then goes to the login screen. when i have no internet connection available, the boot up is even slower.

for now, i have went back to gutsy, but i am wondering how hardy does with a boot install versus clicking the "upgrade" button in update manager? i ask because i have tried hardy in innotek and didnt have these problems.

JoshuaRL
May 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I haven't had that many issues, but I have had some. The driver keeps reverting to the open source and messing with my resolution. I have a bug in compiz, so I just stopped using it. Also, the upgrade faulted most of the way through and I had to do:

sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get update-manager -d

and it finished everything alright. The compiz bug is on Launchpad, so hopefully it will be fixed soon. Not sure about the driver issue though.

umfas
May 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM
how did you rol back to gutsy?

Inxsible
May 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM
I didnt upgrade on my ubuntu machine. But I did on my Xubuntu and everything is working just as it should. No problems whatsoever. Except for the 1 hour download and 2.5 hours installation time :( I would think that a fresh install would have been much faster. But oh well !!!

reeksy
May 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Hi

I've upgraded via the package manager and had several issues! I can no longer access my CD drive and I'm getting system crashes every 2-3 days. The previous version of Ubuntu was excellent, i never had any issues! I wish i could roll back!

I notice you're talking about a fresh install. By this do you mean re-formatting you HD? Is this common practice with Ubuntu Linux when upgrading? It seems like a lot of effort; as you'd have to back-up all your files (on DVD or something). However, due to the issues I'm having I'm seriously considering it though.

Jon

TransitMan
May 21st, 2008, 07:43 AM
If you have a separate /home directory, doing a fresh install would be easy.

As for the upgrade via the update manager, I had no problems. Just has to re-install Innotek Virtualbox to get it to work, and I was good to go. In fact, I installed the RC version just prior to the official release.
As for video, I had to re-install the ATI drivers, but that was not a big deal.

reeksy
May 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
If you have a separate /home directory, doing a fresh install would be easy.

By this do you mean /home/<my username>? If the answer is yes, then i do. So i guess you mean you would only have to backup and restore your /home/<my username> directory if you did a fresh install?

Regards,
Jon

avtolle
May 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM
By this do you mean /home/<my username>? If the answer is yes, then i do. So i guess you mean you would only have to backup and restore your /home/<my username> directory if you did a fresh install?

Regards,
Jon
What the question really was asking was "do you have a separate /home partition on your hdd?". If you have created such a partition in the past, then you would only need to backup said partition prior to a fresh install. If you do not have a separate partition for /home, then you have a bit more work to do to back up the /home/<username> "folder", as this will be overwritten by a new install, and you would need to restore from your backup.

reeksy
May 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
I see, OK thanks for the info.

thebestofall007
May 23rd, 2008, 01:30 AM
how did you rol back to gutsy?

i backed up my data and started off with a fresh boot install from a gutsy live cd. thats the only way i know of to roll back.

thebestofall007
May 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hi

I've upgraded via the package manager and had several issues! I can no longer access my CD drive and I'm getting system crashes every 2-3 days. The previous version of Ubuntu was excellent, i never had any issues! I wish i could roll back!

I notice you're talking about a fresh install. By this do you mean re-formatting you HD? Is this common practice with Ubuntu Linux when upgrading? It seems like a lot of effort; as you'd have to back-up all your files (on DVD or something). However, due to the issues I'm having I'm seriously considering it though.

Jon

what i mean about a fresh install is using a live cd to reinstall from boot up by changing the boot order and booting up from cd the traditional way (after backing up the data, of course). i didnt have to reformat the hd, since hardy heron already had my ubuntu partition in an ext2 format. the total install from cd took 20-25 minutes.

Efros
May 23rd, 2008, 01:38 AM
I have two machines that had 7.10 installed and one with Hardy Beta all of which were upgraded through the update manager. I have subsequently clean installed both of the formerly 7.10 machines, because of little niggling problems. The former beta machine doesn't seem to have any of these issues.

philinux
May 23rd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Having a separate home partition makes reinstalling really easy.