PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] running inside windows

tenor20
May 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Hi -
I thought I'd give this a try after reading a review that said you could run 8.04 inside windows as if it was a windows program.

I burned the iso, ran the install inside windows and then rebooted.
noticing the new ubuntu option on the OS boot screen I booted into ubuntu and watched a youtube video in firefox.
I then rebooted into xp to see what it would be like to run ubuntu in a window.

If this were a regular windows program, I would see an new icon on my programs menu after install. However, there is no such icon. Maybe I need to make my own shortcut - but to what program?
I looked for some executable program in the Ubuntu folder - but I didn't see anything obvious.

My question is: How do I start ubuntu while booted in xp? Or did I read this information incorrectly? Do I need to set up a VM?

Thanks.

damis648
May 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
In order to do this, you must set up a VM, so yes. However, I find this quite interesting and perhaps useful if there is a specific linux app that you need to run in windows: http://www.andlinux.org/

Kinst
May 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Ya, that's virtual machine territory.

tamoneya
May 18th, 2008, 09:19 PM
You read it a little bit wrong but it may have also been written poorly. Ubuntu now has a program that you can use (wubi.exe) that allows you to install and uninstall ubuntu as if it was a windows program. Take a look in add/remove programs and you should see wubi there. If you want to run it inside of windows you should use a virtual machine like VMWare or virtual box.

shifty_powers
May 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
either use virtualbox, (google it), as it is easier to use/set up imo.

or have you considered wubi? (again google it ;)).

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Ubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!
Download Now
Wubi is Simple

No need to burn a CD. Just run the installer, enter a password for the new account, and click "Install", go grab a coffee, and when you are back, Ubuntu will be ready for you.
Wubi is Safe

You keep Windows as it is, Wubi only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers. It works just like any other application. Wubi is spyware and malware free, and being open source, anyone can verify that.
Wubi is Discrete

Wubi keeps most of the files in one folder, and if you do not like it, you can simply uninstall it as any other application.
Wubi is Free

Wubi and Ubuntu cost absolutely nothing (free as in beer), but yet provide a state of the art, fully functional, operating system that does not require any activation and does not impose any restriction on its use (free as in freedom).

tenor20
May 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks, All