PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] missing xeukleides -- very disappointed with 8.04

heindsight
May 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM
about two weeks ago I upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04, and so far I'm rather disappointed.
My biggest gripe at the moment is that xeukleides has been removed from ubuntu, I use xeukleides quite frequently when preparing figures for documents (I'm doing research in computational geometry). I can't help wondering what other favourite software I'll now have to install from source.

Perhaps it is time I moved on to another distro... :(

HalPomeranz
May 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
The package name has changed to "eukleides" (no "x" at the front anymore). So "sudo apt-get install eukleides" should work for you.

Enjoy!

heindsight
May 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Yes, I have the eukleides package installed (xeukleides used to depend on eukleides), but it does not include the xeukleides program.

I use eukleides to produce the final figure, but I usually use the interactive features of xeukleides to prepare the figure first -- without it, I'm having to retypeset my tex document every time I make a change to a figure, until I have all my figures exactly the way I want them, rather tedious...

HalPomeranz
May 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Huh, this is weird:

$ sudo apt-cache show eukleides
[...]
Replaces: xeukleides (<< 0.9.2-1)
[...]
Description: Euclidean geometry drawing language
Eukleides is a language which allows one to typeset geometric figures
within a (La)TeX document. This package includes scripts to convert
these figures into EPS and other formats. Eukleides uses a console
interface. A separate package, xeukleides, offers a gtk-based
interface.

Notice the "Replaces:" field seems to contradict the "Description:". Not sure what's happening here. You might try emailing the package maintainer(s).