PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to Hardy Heron...but has it really?

gammyhand
May 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I installed Hardy Heron a few minutes ago and rather than format the disk I just installed on the same partition as 7.10 (whatever it's animal connection was) and it seems to have upgraded Ubuntu but I don't see this wonderful new theme there is supposed to be and firefox has retained my bookmarks and my gnome desktop has the same panels as on 7.10 (I mean custom ones where I have added/removed stuff).

Would it be better to format and install? I don't want to have upgraded and have a load of useless files floating around my file system.

Thanks.

tamoneya
May 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
check to see if you are really at 8.04:
lsb_release -a
EDIT: I have three computers. Two I did fresh installs one I upgraded. No real differences between them.

Bakon Jarser
May 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Did you have your home directory on a seperate partition?

gammyhand
May 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.04
Release: 8.04
Codename: hardy

Looks like it is 8.04.

As regarding the home directory...all of my data is on a separate partition but the home directory is on the C:\ drive. I guess because I didn't format it didn't delete any files so they are still there.

Which means there are probably loads of temp files I don't want floating around as well.

tamoneya
May 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
if it isnt broken dont fix it is what I would do. the upgrade should do a pretty good job of cleaning out old configurations files and stuff so I wouldnt worry about it to much.

How is your home partition in your c:/ drive.