PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where to get necessary drivers?

Neoeyal
May 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hello,
I'm new with Ubuntu and other Linux stuff. Right now I'm a Windows user but I want to install Ubuntu, which brings me to my question:
Where do I get any necessary drivers and how do I know what drivers do I really need? (Drivers such as Intel motherboard drivers for sound, RAID, etc... which you need to install after installing Windows).

Thank you,
Eyal :guitar:

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Most come with the kernel. You just need to install.

Neoeyal
May 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Thank you
I have another question, I have two hard drives - one with Windows installed and another one that is clean - I just formated it.
When I try to install Ubuntu it does not show me this drive, it only ask me what partition to make in Windows hard drive but I don't want to install it there, I want to install it in the clean - formated drive. How do I do that?

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Is one SATA and the other one IDE?

damis648
May 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM
It sounds like you are trying to install with WUBI?

Neoeyal
May 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Is one SATA and the other one IDE?

Yes, SATA is which Windows installed and I want to install it on the IDE (the clean - formated).

* What's WUBI?

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry, but you'll have to install both OS's in your Windows drive (SATA?) and use the other one for storage or a separate /home for Ubuntu. If Vista; use the Vista partitioner.

damis648
May 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
WUBI is the installer that runs INSIDE windows... this might be the problem. Is windows running when you are installing Ubuntu? If it is, you have to restart and boot from the CD by setting it as the first boot device in the bios.

Neoeyal
May 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
It's Windows XP Professional
Why cannot I install it on the IDE one? (without Windows)

damis648
The CD IS the first boot device in the BIOS

damis648
May 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yes but is windows running during the installation?

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Even if you manage to do that; you will not have dual boot. You could boot Ubuntu with Super Grub:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/supergrubdiskpage.html

Neoeyal
May 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
So do you recommend to split the Windows partition into two partitions and install Ubuntu there or is it going to really reduce my PC performance and speed?
- If I will decide to do that how could I access the IDE hard drive in Ubuntu (for storage)?

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Check in BIOS and see that both drives are well configured. Check connections and cables. This problem is well known. You will have no hit in performance.

Neoeyal
May 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I think the IDE hard drive is well configured because I can see & access it in Windows with no problem.

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Sometimes the configuration that works with Windows, does not work with Ubuntu.

Neoeyal
May 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I tried to install Ubuntu on the same partition as Windows (SATA) but when I tried to resize the partition I got an error says "An error occurred while writing the changes to the storage devices.
Resize aborted"

* BTW
Is there any chance to make the desktop visual effects work with nVidia 8600GTS?

Pumalite
May 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM
If you are using Vista; you have to use the Vista partitioner to allocate space for Ubuntu first. You cannot partition with the Ubuntu CD.

Neoeyal
May 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I don't have Vista, I have Windows XP Professional.

About my 2nd question in my last post:
Can I run the Ubuntu desktop effects with nVidia 8600GTS?

EDIT
Never mind everything is now working (i could split the partition)
and effects works too.

Thank you for your help

Pumalite
May 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
You are welcome. Good luck.